Background color, entity color

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

sbkenn
Registered Member

Background color, entity color

Post by sbkenn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi. I very occasionally use QCD on Ubuntu, to draw and send to a workshop, parts that I want made. The trouble is, when he opens the drawings (in Solidworks), the background is always black, with black lines. Not very helpful. When I open them, the background is white. Please advise. I have no problem editing the dxf as an ascii file, if I knew what to change.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Background color, entity color

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Your entities have been created in black or on black layers. QCAD by default automatically corrects entity colors to prevent display of black on black or white on white. Other CAD software does not do this, so your black entities appear black on other software with black backgrounds.

The easiest fix is to change the color of your layers or entities from black to white. In QCAD this won't make any visible difference, but you can see the actual color in the layer dialog / property editor.

You can also set up your QCAD installation to display entities in their actual color by unchecking the option:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Appearance > Prevent white on white / black on black display

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”