[solved] Slow running program

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

JSHUK

[solved] Slow running program

Post by JSHUK » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:40 pm

I recently upgraded to version 3.12.3 pro from 3.12.1 pro and immediately experienced problems with the program running very slowly. For example, something as simple as drawing a line would go something like this:

select the line tool and click on the position of the first point
move mouse to position second point
wait about 2- 3 seconds while the cursor "catches up" with the mouse position
click the second point.

I've tried uninstalling the program and re-installing, even into a new directory, with no improvement. Eventually, I re-installed ver. 3.12.1 pro to regain the usability. I'm not overly concerned about the fact that I don't have the latest version, but I was wondering if I'd missed something vital in the upgrade.
I'm using Windows 7 professional with all the latest updates, on a 32-bit machine. OK, it's old, (10 years +), but everything else works well enough for my needs.

John

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Slow running program

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks for your report. Is that with a particular drawing or with an empty drawing? In the first case, please attach the drawing file (DXF,DWG). Thanks.

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi, Andrew,
It was happening with empty files as well as a drawing already started in an earlier version. I can't replicate it now, of course, because I've reverted to 3.12.1.
I've attached a file that was affected. It does contain a number of block items which, in turn are made up from numerous complex objects. Perhaps they are slowing things down, although I didn't experience the delay with earlier versions.
I should also add that I have installed 3.12.3 on my laptop (Linux mint 17 32-bit) and that doesn't have the same lagging problem as far as I can tell.

Regards,
John
Attachments
General assembly.dxf
(560.64 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Just for fun, I've re-installed 3.12.3 onto a separate hard drive where I store all my DXF files and other stuff and I'm delighted to tell you that it seems to be working perfectly. So, don't waste any time trying to find a solution to a problem that probably doesn't exist! It was most likely finger trouble on my part!
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Regards,
John
P.S. If it DOES happen again, I'll let you know.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: [solved] Slow running program

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:27 pm

OK, thanks for letting me know.

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Just to let you know - it's happening again! Having delved deeper, I think it may be connected to the Bug report FS#1315, due to be addressed in the next release, so I'll see what happens when that comes out. At least, now that I'm aware of the situation, I can make allowances.
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks. I can confirm that this is caused by FS#1315 and has been fixed for the next release.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:56 pm

An update (QCAD 3.12.4) is now available.

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks, Andrew. I'm downloading it as I type this. Fingers crossed!

John

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Now had a chance to play around with 3.12.4 and as you say, Andrew, it seems that has cleared that problem. Thanks.

John

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”