"qcad.exe has stopped working"

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Henry J.
Newbie Member

"qcad.exe has stopped working"

Post by Henry J. » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:32 am

Last night (Feb. 14, 2016) I downloaded and installed QCAD. When I try to open an existing drawing, or save a drawing, I get this error message: "qcad.exe has stopped working." "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This is QCAD 3.12.6 on Windows 8.1
qcad001.jpg
qcad001.jpg (228.03 KiB) Viewed 14324 times
Please advise.

Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: "qcad.exe has stopped working"

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for your report.

Is this the 32bit or the 64bit package?
Is there anything special about your installation? Network drives, cloud drives, etc?

The file dialog is provided by Qt / Windows, so I cannot change or fix that. What I can do is change some options or use the Qt file dialog instead. If you are willing to experiment:
- Quit QCAD
- save the attached file OpenFile.js, Version 1 (custom dir icons option) to scripts/File/OpenFile/OpenFile.js inside your QCAD installation
- Start QCAD
- File > Open

Please let me know if that solves the problem.

If it doesn't, please try the other OpenFile.js, Version 2 (Qt file dialog) as well.

I'd appreciate a feedback on this, since I cannot reproduce this problem on my installation.
Attachments
OpenFile.js
Version 1 (custom dir icons option)
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
OpenFile.js
Version 2 (Qt file dialog)
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 546 times

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks, andrew, for the quick reply.

This is 64 bit. There is very little on this computer...no cloud stuff, no networking stuff. Kaspersky antivirus, TurboCad, ArcSoft Photo Studio and Kompozer html editor.

I'll work on this later today and let you know what happens.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi Henry.J

Just a hunch here, is the file you are working on very large and if you are able, maybe you could submit to the forum so we can test it.

Clive

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:36 am

Andrew,

I haven't downloaded the file yet. When I browsed to location you suggested ( to be sure I knew where this was) I found this message, apparently telling about an error. Does this tell you anything?

Clive & Andrew,

I don't think this has anything to do with file size. The problem first appeared when I tried to open an existing drawing, but I never had the chance to browse to the file before the error message appeared. And later, when I started a new drawing and just played with a few simple circles and lines, the error appeared as soon as i tried to save the drawing.
Attachments
qcad002.jpg
qcad002.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 14281 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:53 am

Henry J. wrote:I haven't downloaded the file yet. When I browsed to location you suggested ( to be sure I knew where this was) I found this message, apparently telling about an error. Does this tell you anything?
Please do not attempt to run that file. All these .js files are part of QCAD and cannot be run outside of the scope of QCAD. If you wish to look at the file, you can open it with a text editor such as NotePad, WordPad, etc.

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:09 am

I tried to save the first file as you said, and I got the message in the first screen shot below. When I clicked "yes" I got the message shown in the second screenshot below.
qcad003.jpg
qcad003.jpg (106.79 KiB) Viewed 14260 times

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:11 am

Here is the second screenshot referenced above:
qcad004.jpg
qcad004.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 14260 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 am

Alright, thanks for trying.

Meanwhile QCAD 3.12.8 has been released with a comfortable application preference to switch to another file dialog:
Edit > Application Preferences > File > Load/Save > [ ] Use system file dialog

If you uncheck that box, a different file dialog is used which might (or might not) fix the problem. Please let me know either way.
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.01.37.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.01.37.png (143.92 KiB) Viewed 14251 times

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

That didn't help. I tried it as you showed, and got the same errors, then I tried it with the box checked, and got the same thing.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:05 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback. As a last resort, you could try the 32bit version instead. This might work because it uses an older Qt version.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 pm

BTW: what is folder 'henry (auldooly)'? I have a feeling that the crash is related to some extension, driver or application that is being used to mount a network share, dropbox, Google drive or similar service. Anyway, just curious.

Henry J.
Newbie Member

Post by Henry J. » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:37 am

I think that folder was in place when the computer was new, and when we gave the computer a name, the folder was renamed to match.

Yesterday I looked in it (for the first time) and it was just a redundancy of the folders around it: "downloads", "pictures", music", "videos", and such. It's all stuff I never use as I have my own organizational scheme.

Oddly enough, I was able to look around in the folder yesterday, but now when I try to open it I get an error message,"henry(auldooly) is denying access to your PC. Contact the owner of the media server to allow your PC to access it." I have absolutely no idea what this is all about.

qharley

Post by qharley » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:54 pm

I recently picked up this issue using 3.17.3 on a windows 10 workstation.
We upgraded it to the latest 3.18 but to no avail.

At least I also have a Linux laptop that still works.

We did all the things on this thread already (including installing 32bit version)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm

If this happens when opening or saving a file, please attach or e-mail the file, thanks.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”