Import From AutoCAD Leaves Huge Dimensions

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Tango

Import From AutoCAD Leaves Huge Dimensions

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 am

I'm using QCAD Pro 3.17.1.0 on macOS 10.12.4. I've found issues on the forum with AutoCAD imports, but I didn't find one like this. When I searched for terms that related to the size of the dimensions, I found a few issues, but nothing related to this.

Someone sent me some AutoCAD files to test for importing. One is a .dwg file (I think that's from a direct "save" and not an export) and a .dxf file. When I import either one into QCAD, I get something that looks like the attached image. The dimensions are huge and make it hard to see anything else.

Is this due to something I'm doing or something in the file (which doesn't look like this on AutoCAD)? Is there a way to fix it?
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.28.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.28.29 PM.png (339.13 KiB) Viewed 9731 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Import From AutoCAD Leaves Huge Dimensions

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:05 am

Tango wrote:Is there a way to fix it?
My first guess is that the "Size scale factor" for DIM's is messed up. Please try to adjust the setting below:
Husky-2017.06.05-03.png
Husky-2017.06.05-03.png (112.41 KiB) Viewed 9727 times
If that doesn't fix the problem please attach the dxf or dwg for further investigation. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Tango

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 am

I think I just solved it. Before I just clicked on the "Open File" icon on the tool bar and opened the file. This time, as I started to do that, it hit me that was probably the problem, so I checked the File menu, found, "Import," and used that. I pasted it into the current drawing, which was blank, and everything looks great.

Should I be able to just open the file from the "Open File" icon or is that what I was doing wrong?

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 am

Tango wrote:I think I just solved it.
I would call it "Workaround". Not a fix. However - it looks like it works ... :wink:

Tango wrote:Should I be able to just open the file from the "Open File" icon or is that what I was doing wrong?
Yes - it should work with "Open" the file. Something is wrong with the AutoCad file. The proper procedure - in my opinion - would be to fix the problem and save the file so that you never have to deal with this issue again. If this "imported" new file is working for you - save it as the new AC source file.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Tango

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:17 am

Husky wrote:
Tango wrote:Should I be able to just open the file from the "Open File" icon or is that what I was doing wrong?
Yes - it should work with "Open" the file. Something is wrong with the AutoCad file. The proper procedure - in my opinion - would be to fix the problem and save the file so that you never have to deal with this issue again. If this "imported" new file is working for you - save it as the new AC source file.
I'd post a copy of both the .dwg and .dxf version of the AutoCAD files, but they're our house plans, from the architect, who has been wonderful about sharing all his data with me on the plans, but we've also discussed that the files he creates are proprietary and one condition from early on was that I would not be sharing them with anyone.

Since this works, and it's not too much of a pain, I can work with this for now. I find it interesting that when I import the file and paste it into a blank drawing the scaling isn't an issue, but it is with a direct "open." Is this something I should report as a bug?

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:40 am

Tango wrote:I'd post a copy of both the .dwg and .dxf version of the AutoCAD files, but they're our house plans, from the architect, who has been wonderful about sharing all his data with me on the plans, but we've also discussed that the files he creates are proprietary and one condition from early on was that I would not be sharing them with anyone.
If you are confident to send them to a named QCAD Moderator via PM then I can assure you that the file will stay confidential - we never share them or make them public. We respect confidential material to 100%!
Tango wrote:I find it interesting that when I import the file and paste it into a blank drawing the scaling isn't an issue, but it is with a direct "open." Is this something I should report as a bug?
No - it isn't a bug. If you open the drawing directly it will use the DIM settings from the original file. In this case they are wrong!
If you import it into an other drawing it will use the DIM settings from this "other" (target) drawing. And they are usually correct ... :wink:

Tango

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 am

Husky wrote: If you are confident to send them to a named QCAD Moderator via PM then I can assure you that the file will stay confidential - we never share them or make them public. We respect confidential material to 100%!
I'll ask him about it. Since I gave him my word, I have to do that. I think there's a good chance he'll agree.
Husky wrote: No - it isn't a bug. If you open the drawing directly it will use the DIM settings from the original file. In this case they are wrong!
If you import it into an other drawing it will use the DIM settings from this "other" (target) drawing. And they are usually correct ... :wink:
Okay. Just checking, just in case. It sounds like, then, that this confirms that there's something odd about the dim settings in the original file.

Is it possible I could open the file in a text editor (is it XML or something similar?) and extract some settings or sections and send those for information on the issue?

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:29 am

Tango wrote:Is it possible I could open the file in a text editor (is it XML or something similar?) and extract some settings or sections and send those for information on the issue?
That would make it more difficult than necessary. Check the DIM settings in a new/virgin drawing and compare them to those AC DIM settings. Adjust the AC settings regarding the new drawing and see what happens.
You will find the settings below: Menu/Edit/Drawing Preferences/Dimension/Dimension Settings

Tango

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:04 am

On a new drawing, my DIM settings are 1, when I import the AC file, the DIM settings are 48.

So I guess that explains a lot, but when I change the DIM setting on the imported file to 1, it doesn't change the size of the numbers, it just makes the line width they're drawn with thinner.

Also, I noticed, in Drawing Preferences, if I go straight to clicking on "Dimension Settings," I get nothing - no controls at all. Just the same gray area on the window that is where the controls should be. If I go to any other setting first, then to "Dimension Settings," I get the Dimension Settings. So it doesn't show if I click on that item first. I have to click on another item, then click on it.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Tango wrote:So I guess that explains a lot, but when I change the DIM setting on the imported file to 1, it doesn't change the size of the numbers, it just makes the line width they're drawn with thinner.
There are many possibility's - this is one of that cases where I need to see the drawing ....

Tango

Post by Tango » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:14 am

Thanks. I'm trying to see if I can get him to agree to let me share the file.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”