Linetypes and pdfs

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jackieh

Linetypes and pdfs

Post by jackieh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi folks
Just thought you should know that I have actually managed to finish the CAD for a couple of reports without asking you anything (I must be improving...), but I'm stuck again, this time with an architect's plan (he uses vectorworks) which came across as a block with everything on a single layer ('none'), which I exploded. Because the paving lines were too prominent, I moved them all onto a separate layer (which already existed '_Paving (2D)'). I could change the colour of the layer no problem, but when I made a pdf the dots appeared as solid lines. So, I changed the linetype of the layer to see if that would help, but for some reason this didn't change the linetype of the existing lines - although this could be changed one at a time. Also, is there a way to change the linetype scale through the layer commands, so that a whole category of lines can be changed together?

Any solution would be good - the architect's dots appearing as dots on the pdf; or successfully changing the linetype and scale of a layer.

I started by using windows 10, QCAD version 3.16.7, but after I discovered this problem I changed to 3.17.3, but this didn't make any difference.

Thank you, as always, for your help and looking forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
Attachments
Treasury Plan.dwg
(778.62 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Linetypes and pdfs

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Jackie ...
jackieh wrote:Hi folks
Just thought you should know that I have actually managed to finish the CAD for a couple of reports without asking you anything (I must be improving...)
... glad to hear that. :wink:

jackieh wrote:I moved them all onto a separate layer (which already existed '_Paving (2D)'). I could change the colour of the layer no problem, but when I made a pdf the dots appeared as solid lines. So, I changed the linetype of the layer to see if that would help, but for some reason this didn't change the linetype of the existing lines - although this could be changed one at a time.
The reason is that the designer of the drawing chose to give those lines individual Line types. The nature of individual attributes is always to overwrite Layer Attributes.

How to check?
Select the entity and check the Property Editor for used attributes. If the entity has to follow the Layer attributes then you will find the setting adjusted to "By Layer".
Husky-2017.08.03-01.png
Husky-2017.08.03-01.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
Your example drawing shows that only the Color is by Layer ...
Husky-2017.08.03-02.png
Husky-2017.08.03-02.png (49.25 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
... Lineweight and Type is customized.

How to accomplish your goal:
Layer List / Right click on "_Paving (2D)" / Select Layer
change the settings in the Property Editor to "By Layer"
Change (or keep?) the Attribute settings directly in the responsible Layer and I'm pretty confident that it will act as desired. I'm correct?

jackieh wrote:Also, is there a way to change the linetype scale through the layer commands, so that a whole category of lines can be changed together?
Property Editor? :wink:
Regarding to your drawing organization you could use the "Layer" or the "Selection Filter" to find those entities.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jackieh

Re: Linetypes and pdfs

Post by jackieh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks very much! I haven't used the select layer command before - it's really useful (let's hope I remember it for next time...)
Jackie

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”