[solved] Toolbar settings (only) don't persist across sessions

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

lphilpot

[solved] Toolbar settings (only) don't persist across sessions

Post by lphilpot » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:48 pm

QCAD 3.19.2 Pro
Xubuntu 16.04 Linux

I can choose and arrange toolbars as I want without a problem, but when I restart QCAD it reverts to a previous layout. I tried it with and without a default template (wondering if toolbar settings were saved in / with that file, maybe?) but it made no difference. I can see the default template loads properly - Custom layers, etc., are there, but with or without it, toolbar settings don't "stick" after restarting QCAD. Other custom settings are saved properly and remain in effect, it's apparently just toolbars that don't.

I just upgraded to Pro today and it appears (from the best of my memory) that the toolbar settings are what I had with the CE prior to upgrading. Do I need to rename/delete my config file and start over? It shows it's been updated today, I have write permissions, etc., so it's not a file-level issue:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 len len 85463 Dec 25 12:45 QCAD3.conf

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Toolbar settings (only) don't persist across sessions

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:23 pm

lphilpot wrote:I just upgraded to Pro today ...
... you must have done something right! :wink:
lphilpot wrote:I can choose and arrange toolbars as I want without a problem, but when I restart QCAD it reverts to a previous layout. I tried it with and without a default template (wondering if toolbar settings were saved in / with that file, maybe?) but it made no difference.
My wheelhouse is win but all application settings are stored in QCAD3.conf.
lphilpot wrote:Do I need to rename/delete my config file and start over? It shows it's been updated today, I have write permissions, etc., so it's not a file-level issue:
Usually not but try to rename the QCAD3.conf and make a few test with your toolbar settings. Terminating of QCAD will always save a new QCAD3.conf. I would assume it's a permission problem but you said read/write is proper set ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Husky wrote:
lphilpot wrote:I just upgraded to Pro today ...
... you must have done something right! :wink:
Something like that, I guess. :wink:
Husky wrote:Terminating of QCAD will always save a new QCAD3.conf. I would assume it's a permission problem but you said read/write is proper set ...
Well, now it finally worked... of course! I must've tried half a dozen times or more before. I got to the point where I had all my toolbars / positions memorized. :lol: I was watching the config file while I worked on it. It was apparently saved when I made changes (timestamp changed) but the content was unchanged ('diff' and md5sum showed no difference). But, when I exited the program, this time the DockappWindows array was updated and upon next launch my toolbars are where I want them. Excellent!

Dunno why it did that, but it appears to be working now.

Thanks (and go back to your Christmas day, instead of answering support forum posts!) :)
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Great!

Remember to keep always a backup of your QCAD3.conf. Maybe one day it will save you a lot of work ...

Christmas day? Ops, yep ..... I have to go ......
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Config file? Yep. I wrote a customizable Perl script that nightly (in addition to other backups) gathers and stores a wide range of system configuration information, including some specific application directories / files. It's saved my bacon more than once (use it at work as well).

Thanks again.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”