[Solved] Command line no longer available

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

wjhall
Newbie Member

[Solved] Command line no longer available

Post by wjhall » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:22 pm

OS X 10.12.6

QCAD version 3.23.0.0 and earlier.

Command line no longer available. Pressing space bar produces no effect.

It was available for about a year following installation of version 3.21.2.0. With an earlier version its availability had been intermittent, so I assumed this was a bug that had been cured.

Previous version in use was 3.21.2.0 This worked correctly for about a year, but when openend last week the command line focus could not be obtained. Pressing the space bar produced no result. I replaced it with the current version 3.23.0.0 to see if this would cure the problem, but the problem persists in both the professional trial and after removing the scripts to downgrade this to the ordinary trial. The problem occurs both with a drawing openend and with a blank new drawing.

The keyboard commands, ZA, LI, etc do work.

scripts/View/CommandLineFocus is in list of scripts in the about function but I have not succeeded in finding it, so assume that this has been compiled into a plug-in.
Last edited by wjhall on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panchdara
Premier Member

Re: Command line no longer available

Post by Panchdara » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi wjhall. I've never experienced your particular issue with QCAD, however, I have had instances where the spacebar has failed on the keyboard (remember, it's probably the most used button on the keyboard. Can I first suggest swapping the keyboard out? Best
Windows 10

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi,
to exclude a hardware failure I would first try CTRL+M which should work identical like the space key ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 pm

As Husky says... but it's still ^M on the same possible suspect keyboard.
Windows 10

wjhall
Newbie Member

Post by wjhall » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:43 am

Thank you for your suggestions.

The space bar appears to work in all other applications and also when used to type text in QCAD, so not obviously the keyboard. Ctl M and ^M do not appear to have any effect.

However the keyboard command GM does open and close the command line, in which characters including spaces can then be typed. The space bar then appears to shift the focus in and out of the command line. Perhaps it is my understanding of the process that is flawed, I had been certain that I was using space to open and close the command line, and was definitely not using GM, but perhaps that is not how it is supposed to work. I had read the pull down menu under 'View' as implying that , but perhaps focus on command line is meant to require the command line to have been set up by GM first.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm

GM is "only" to toggle the visibility of the command line. Status visible / invisible.

Space key is "only" responsible to get the Cursor INTO the command line so that you are able to type your command. That is the reason why this function (triggered with space key) is called"Focus on Command Line".
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

wjhall
Newbie Member

Post by wjhall » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Fine, thank you, it seems to be doing that now. Although that is not my recollection of how it was working before, probably a result of coming back to it after a short gap.

However the manual, page 116, does describe 'Space' as Activate command line, which is apparently currently not the case, GM being needed to make it visible followed by space for the more restricted function of moving focus into it, after it has been made visible.

I will stop worrying about it.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”