[solved] Keypad doesn't type numbers

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

gwood

[solved] Keypad doesn't type numbers

Post by gwood » Tue May 19, 2020 7:24 am

Hi folks,

I'm using:

Version: 3.17.0.0 (3.17.0)
Internet: QCAD.org
Build Date: May 18 2017
Revision: 2a31885
Qt Version: 5.8.0
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: gcc 4.8.1

Running on Kubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

I'm a longtime user of QCAD.

A few months ago I bought a Dell G3 laptop, upon which all of this is running.

My issue is that the keypad will not produce numbers.

Yes, I've checked to be sure the NumLock is on. I can open a text editor in a window beside QCAD, switch to the editor, and type numbers from the keypad to my heart's content. My drawings generally require a lot of labels, utilizing numbers, and I touch-type on the keypad, so this being broken is a huge handicap for me.

I've tried to resolve the issue myself by browsing through ~/.config/QCAD/QCAD3.conf and through the various config menues, but I don't see anywhere I can tinker with keyboard mapping.

I've supported Ribbonsoft over the years by buying several professional versions, and I'm not opposed to doing it again. However, this issue only appeared when I began using the new laptop. Browsing through your lists of fixes in updates didn't mention this issue, unless I missed it. I'd like to find a fix, and if I upgrade I'd like to be sure the issue won't be present in the newer version.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some guidance.
Last edited by gwood on Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Keypad doesn't type numbers

Post by andrew » Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 am

This is very likely related to Qt, the toolkit QCAD is built upon and not to QCAD directly.

I'd recommend to download and try the latest trial version to check if the issue is resolved in a newer version of QCAD which uses a newer version of Qt:
https://qcad.org/en/download

The trial can be installed in parallel with another version or full version, but they cannot be run simultaneously.

gwood

Post by gwood » Wed May 20, 2020 12:58 am

Thank you Andrew, I'll do that and report back as to whether it solved the problem.

gwood

Post by gwood » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

I downloaded and ran the newest trial version, and the keypad still does not produce numbers.

I am running version 5.9.5 of QT. However, note that I am using KDE, which heavily utilizes QT, and QCAD is the only program which is giving me this issue with the keypad.

I do intend to purchase the upgraded version soon, in any case.

Here's the version I tested:

Version: 3.24.3.0 (3.24.3)
Internet: QCAD.org
Build Date: Mar 17 2020
Revision: a3bef72
Qt Version: 5.8.0
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: gcc 4.8.1

Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 20, 2020 9:32 am

Did you also try the package that links against Qt 5.13?
https://qcad.org/archives/qcad/qcad-3.2 ... x86_64.run

PS: There is a Qt bug that seems related:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-75523

However, it's marked as fixe for Qt 5.14.2 only. I'll try to build a package against that Qt version.

gwood

Post by gwood » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 am

I just tried running the trial version linked to QT 5.13, to which you posted the link.

The number keypad seems to be working correctly with this version, which resolves the issue. Thank you.

Will I need to pay attention to any special versioning when I purchase the newest pro-version?

As soon as this last question is answered, I will return and mark the subject line [solved].

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the feedback! Good to see that the folks at Qt fixed this.
gwood wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 am
Will I need to pay attention to any special versioning when I purchase the newest pro-version?
No, all QCAD Professional products give you access to all versions of QCAD packages for all platforms.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”