Library issues SOLVED

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

spectric

Library issues SOLVED

Post by spectric » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi

I am having a lot of problems with the library function, sometimes just shutting down Qcad and restarting solves the issues but not always.

Running latest Qcad and on a windows 10 platform. Looking at the library, I select an item to edit and it is correct, on importing into a drawing many parts of that item are nolonger showing. Other library items are fine. Have tried resaving and removing from library and putting it back but no difference. Any suggestions?
Last edited by spectric on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petevick
Premier Member

Re: Library issues

Post by petevick » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:06 pm

which version of Qcad are you using ?
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi there

Version:
3.25.2.0 (3.25.2)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 4 2020
Revision:
4a61501
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 14.0 (2015)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi,
spectric wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:02 pm
on importing into a drawing many parts of that item are nolonger showing.
Is there already a block with the same name in that drawing?
If yes, do you inserting then the library item into the drawing without the option ticked "Overwrite blocks?

Husky-2020.12.06-01.png
Husky-2020.12.06-01.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:12 pm

I have now found that in a new drawing it imports ok, in another it looks like it has missing parts until you place it and in a current drawing it is now not importing at all and have tried what I can.

spectric

Post by spectric » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:17 pm

Just tried something else. Imported into a new drawing and then tried to copy & paste into the other drawing and nothing, just an origin and outline box made of dashes.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:27 pm

If you can't see all entities during the inserting process that is done on purpose by QCAD for performance reason.
However - my question is still unanswered ...

If you can't solve it by yourself then we need the Library item as dxf and the drawing what shows missing parts after inserting the library item.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

spectric

Post by spectric » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 am

Hi there

Well I have resolved the issue although not 100% certain what it was except it was something I was doing and involves layers. I am still reaonably new to Qcad and think I might have started to run before I could walk and overlooked something. I now realise when you import a library object it is placed onto the currently selected layer, not its own existing layer and somewhere along the line I managed to have my one library object on different layers, by turning the layer visability on/off I also found some component parts of the lobrary object were on multiple layers. By going back to the library object and editing it, I placed all parts onto the one layer and put it back into the library and then reimported to my drawing and all was ok.

Thanks for the info regards why the object only partially displays before placement, not seen it before but this object was much more complicated with more components.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:05 am

Hi,
refer to: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7642&p=29737
Or browse the forum for 'Library' with the search option.

When solved, pls edit the title of your first post to [SOLVED]

Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:16 pm

Glad to hear you figured it out ..... at least partly. :wink:
spectric wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 am
I now realise when you import a library object it is placed onto the currently selected layer, not its own existing layer ...
Not so fast ... :wink:

The library item / block subject is loaded with a lot of variation. Understanding this powerful / helpful tool with all bells and whistles is a learning curve what should not be underestimated. After that ............................ it is just fun!

Keep in mind: The behavior of an inserted library item / block depends on how the item is created (which layers are used etc) and what options are chosen within the inserting process in the option box (see previos screenshot, Layer / block overwrite or not etc.).

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”