Layer States To Paper Space Not Working

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

seasdes

Layer States To Paper Space Not Working

Post by seasdes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 pm

I am now using V3.26.0 and having trouble setting up Paper Spaces using Layer States. It appears that the Paper Spaces now display the currently activated Layer State for the file rather than the Layer State that was allocated to the Paper Space. File is attached.

Other than this problem I really like the latest update.
Attachments
Paper Space Prob.dwg
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Layer States To Paper Space Not Working

Post by CVH » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 pm

hi,
Layer States & Layouts are independent, that is all.
One can use Y1 or Y2 in both Layouts.
Regards,
CVH

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 pm

Thanks.
So how do I tie different Layers to different Layouts eg floor plan on one Layout and elevations on another. I thought that was one of the purposes of Layer States?
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am

So how do I tie different Layers to different Layouts eg floor plan on one Layout and elevations on another.
The layer states are global, so they affect the look of all blocks. You would have to pick one of your layouts, enable the layer state that is appropriate for that layout, then print or save your pdf. Then you would choose another layout and then switch to whatever layer state is meant for that layout. So it's kind of a manual process.

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 am

Aha that clears things up a little. So then the only purpose of having a number of layouts is for different page sizes and orientation?
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:58 am

So then the only purpose of having a number of layouts is for different page sizes and orientation?
In my observation and use thus far that seems to be true. The ability to have different layers visible on each layout would be really awesome for sure.

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am

Thanks for your help. At least I know how it works now.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 am

Now to continue on with this topic. Most of my work is for architectural drawings where I will have site plans, floor plans, elevations, sections and other data.

Sometimes I may need only one Viewport in a Layout an other times I may need multiple Viewports. Say I have a Layout with multiple Viewports. Do I have to define and position each viewport every time I want to print.

Also, are existing Viewports discarded when I create a new Viewport for a Layout or are they saved somewhere so that they can be recalled later?

Or am I better off just creating one Viewport per Layout,

I hope that I described this clearly.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 am

I'm not sure if this would be considered a different question so it's possible this will get moved.
Do I have to define and position each viewport every time I want to print.
Unlike other blocks, there is not an option to duplicate layout blocks. So you would need to add your viewports to each layout block, even if you wanted the same viewport configuration on different layouts. For this reason, I sometimes turn something I have modeled into a block even when I would have not done so for the more traditional reasons of creating a block. That way I can easily place it in each new layout block very easily. In this workflow I don't use viewports at all. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking? And I don't know how well that workflow would work for architectural drawings?
are existing Viewports discarded when I create a new Viewport for a Layout or are they saved somewhere so that they can be recalled later?
If you delete a viewport, it is gone for good unless you undo. I don't know of a way to recall it.

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:11 am

Thanks for your help. I consider this discussion to be linked to my original question. Anyway someone with higher authority can decide.

From the information that you have provided I need to set up my Layer States so that everything contained within that Layer State is what is contained within a Viewport and then printed on a Layout (Page) and only have 1 Viewport per Layout unless it is a one off print.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 am

I think that sounds right. If you bring in more than one viewport in a layout, all of those viewports will have the same layer visibility prescribed to them. That is another reason I often turn things into blocks. If I wanted to have two or more versions of something appear in one layout, but with different parts visible, I could bring them in as blocks and you can change what layer each block belongs to, or you can explode one or more of your block references and delete or change parts of it if needed without affecting the other copies. That's probably a hassle for most people. It just happens to work pretty well for my rather unique situation where I'm creating assignments for students.

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:43 am

Thanks again. I will give your idea of creating Blocks a try to see if it is useable for my work.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”