Problem (Solved thanks) My Plan.dxf opens but it is empty

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

amsmarle
Newbie Member

Problem (Solved thanks) My Plan.dxf opens but it is empty

Post by amsmarle » Mon May 02, 2022 10:12 pm

Q Cad Pro ver 3.27.1 - Windows 10 - 64 bit
Hello there new to Qcad been using it for 3 weeks perfectly fine no issues tonight the file is blank on opening
My 3 week old file opens but is completely empty tonight. working on it earlier today opened it tonight it is blank

I have the .bak.000.dxf, but how can I sort this out I need this file. please can you help me

Alan
Last edited by amsmarle on Fri May 06, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Problem My Plan.dxf opens but it is empty

Post by andrew » Mon May 02, 2022 10:17 pm

Please attach the files in question, thanks.

How to Attach a File to a Post
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3760

amsmarle
Newbie Member

Post by amsmarle » Mon May 02, 2022 10:29 pm

Bungalow Layout final.dxf
(96.35 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Bungalow Layout final.bak000.dxf
(217.58 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 02, 2022 10:44 pm

I can confirm that file Bungalow Layout final.dxf is empty (perhaps accidentally overwritten by saving an empty file over it?).

The backup file Bungalow Layout final.bak000.dxf contains this:
Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 23.37.08.png
Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 23.37.08.png (122.68 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
To restore this file, simply open this file with QCAD and use File > Save As... to save under a new name (e.g. Bungalow Layout final 2.dxf).

To avoid such problems, it is strongly recommended to save drawings under a new file name from time to time or after big changes (e.g. Bungalow Layout final 1.dxf, Bungalow Layout final 2.dxf, etc.)

Using a fully automatic backup system such as Windows Backup or macOS Time Machine is unavoidable when working with any kind of software as human, software and hardware errors do happen.

amsmarle
Newbie Member

Post by amsmarle » Tue May 03, 2022 8:09 am

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your help and advice. The .bak file you show is dated from the 04/04/22. the file I lost was saved every time I closed down and several times within each session. When I returned to work in this file later the same day the file actually opened and for a second the drawing flashed on the screen and then as quickly disappeared leaving me with an empty file. My only operation was to click to open 'Recent file'. My files are saved in a Qcad folder on my desktop. is there any other location that there may be saved files .bak files...?.
I had a lot of work produced on that drawing and I cannot understand how a file opening procedure can cause such a major fault.
I do have a print off of my latest so I will have to re-input everything again.
Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf

Alan

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 03, 2022 8:26 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I cannot tell what might have happened here. This really shouldn't be possible as there's no code at all in QCAD that somehow automatically saves the file to its original name without the user doing so (autosave files are saved with a "~" in front of the file name). There are no other backup files that QCAD would have made.

This is a case where I would look through the history of the file through the automated backup system that is hopefully in place.

amsmarle
Newbie Member

Post by amsmarle » Thu May 05, 2022 9:48 am

Hi again Andrew,
I have just now realised how I caused the original fault..!
When I opened up my working file I must have accidently clicked on the 'Untitled 1' file that auto loads at the same time as my named file. When my named file disappeared off the screen I panicked and did a save which saved my named file to the auto loaded Untitled ! file (which was of course empty) I did not realise that opening a named file caused two files to load at the same time. In Qcad is there anyway to make only my named file load...? to ensure there is no more inadvertent mouse clicks..?

Also please can you tell me if there is any way to edit a drawn dimension number from say... 65.15 to 65.00 without me having to re-draw and then re-dimension, I know accuracy is the be all and end all.... I have ordered a new mouse as I think my existing mouse has become far to sensitive and old
I have tried DV and clicking in in the first dim position then pressing space bar and inputting 65.00 but some times it works... most time not...?

Best Regards
Alan

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”