Incompatible G code

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Garball

Incompatible G code

Post by Garball » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi,

With QCAD/CAM, any gcode output I generate for the plasma cutter has a N code prefixed to it. As a result, Firecontrol software (from Langmuir Systems), doesn't recognize it and suggests its for Mach3. Attached is the error. How do I get plain G code output so I can try to upload to Firecontrol?

Thanks.
IMG_1978.jpeg
g code error in Firecontrol
IMG_1978.jpeg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 8758 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Incompatible G code

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:58 pm

You can try "LaserGRBL (offset) [mm]" which has no line numbers.

Garball

Post by Garball » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi Andrew,

Ok, so that worked and I have clean G code. However, in the CAM tool paths, there is no provision anymore for Z heights (ie: I need to be able to set safe Z height, initial pierce height and cut height). How does that work for plasma cutting? Do the 'power, feed rate, plunge rate' have any equivalents? Looks like we need a post processor for Firecontrol to make this work.

Cheers,

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:26 pm

I've attached a first Firecontrol post processor with Z-movement (three files to be saved into the postprocessors directory of your QCAD/CAM installation, overwrite LaserBase.js).

Note: this will very likely need further refinement. Do look at the files and make adjustments as needed to header, footer, etc.
Attachments
LaserBase.js
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Firecontrol.js
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
FirecontrolMM.js
(631 Bytes) Downloaded 347 times

Garball

Post by Garball » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Wow, that’s fantastic. I’ll install it today. Thank you!

Garball

Post by Garball » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi Andrew,

So I've played around with this and gave up. I'm back now giving it another shot to see if we can make the CAM portion of the software usable even in a minimalist state. Here is the main issue:

-When I select firecontrol (offest) [mm], and then add a 'CAM profile toolpath', the fileds do not relate to plasma cutting. This makes if confusing and difficult to setup to do anything. Maybe we'll just start there.

There are a growing number of people who have the Langmuir plasma table that are looking for an alternative CAM to SheetCAM. This would be an ideal solution if you can make it work.

Cheers,

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:19 pm

Garball wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm
-When I select firecontrol (offest) [mm], and then add a 'CAM profile toolpath', the fileds do not relate to plasma cutting. This makes if confusing and difficult to setup to do anything. Maybe we'll just start there.
I'm happy to help if you can point me in the right direction. What do you mean by "fields"? The input mask? Which values are you referring to, what are they now and what should they be?

Sorry, but I have no experience with plasma cutting. I do have a laser cutting machine here though.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”