Firecontrol Post Processor

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

trboyden
Registered Member

Firecontrol Post Processor

Post by trboyden » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:13 am

I have been using QCAD for 2D drawing for awhile and am familiar with CAD programs having been an architectural and low-voltage wiring draftsperson for a number of years. I am interested in getting into CNC plasma cutting to make sheet metal motorcycle parts that cost a ton to ship from overseas. Also plan to do some arts and craft projects. I have also been an IT Systems Administrator and a software developer for over 20 years, doing mostly .NET development, but have experience with Java, Python, PHP, and JavaScript.

I just ordered the Langmuir Systems CrossFire (XL) CNC plasma system and would like to use QCAD/CAM as my CAM platform for that product. Based on forum searches, I found a couple abandoned attempts to get that to work. If someone familiar with QCAD/CAM and post processors for CNC tools is willing to work with me, I would be willing to put in the effort to do some testing and try and come up with a full featured post processor that I think would benefit a number of people.

I use both Windows and Mac OS (Intel and M2) platforms. I have the latest 3.28.2.0 version of QCAD/CAM. Attached are the publicly posted post processors released by Langmuir Systems for Fusion 360 and SheetCAM. Also attached is the "break-in" test program they provide for testing the CrossFire.
Attachments
FireControl-v1.6.zip
F360 and SheetCAM Post Processor Scripts and test program
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Firecontrol Post Processor

Post by CVH » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

From what I can find on 'Langmuir', 'CrossFire', 'Plasma', ...
It seems it is not that big a difference with common G-Code.
Plasma needs a specific pierce block for each start of a new contour and that would not be a big trouble.
Piercing may require some specific parameters, again not problematic.

Please post your questions on this forum (QCAD/CAM).
Most likely it can be made functionally with a little help.
Note that QCAD/CAM is based on proprietary code, and then Andrew will be the most appropriate person to solve very specific problems.

Regards,
CVH

trboyden
Registered Member

Re: Firecontrol Post Processor

Post by trboyden » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. Once I get setup, I'll give Andrew's Firecontrol post processor a shot and see if I can determine what the gaps are, then come back here with some specific questions. I will probably need to bounce back and forth between here and the Langmuir forums to piece together what is needed.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”