Feed Rate input on post

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

AdamA
Newbie Member

Feed Rate input on post

Post by AdamA » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Ok so im finaly out of trial and am solidly hooked on Qcad cam. I run Linux ubuntu and Qcads the best i could find to go with it after trailing pretty much everything else out there, im also formally trained in inventor from a previous job. Hence got the pro option with cam to control my cnc mill for simple 2d profiling work.

Messing around with the post processor file (i don't fully understand the code its written in, kinda been editing it on a similar approach to humming along to a song!) i have got it doing everything i need except have a feed rate. The older version i use to have would automatically add a feed rate to the first G01 or G02 - G03 move.

The cam function has a feed rate box, how do you get that to then be part of the programme each time please?

Thanks

Adam

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Feed Rate input on post

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 pm

If your configuration is derived from GCode (i.e. you set the prototype of your class to GCode or a derived class), you can simply use this.getFeedrate().

AdamA
Newbie Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:48 am

Yes my post is a copy of Gcode, but changed to work with my 2 axis mill conversion running Linux CNC (aka EMC2) with just x and y axis. So far i have managed to steal and add the headers modified to suit my metric needs from the linux post. Remove the line numbering + I have then using the tutorial bit about laser cutting managed to edit all Z axis moves to give me a M00 (raise) or (lower) command (something i use to do with a very old programme called Z break). Has taken me all day to get this far, but right now it will pay back going forwards so not too worried. Like this im going to save a ton of time in not having to edit my code manually which has gotta help eliminate mistakes.

Not trying to sound dumb, but does it matter were i put that in the post? Ideally i only want - need it to come up once like this its easy to edit it at the machine should i need to. For my machine its model so i can easily stick it in the header i guess?

Out of curiosity, what type of programming code is the post - .js file written in?

Thanks for the help, its great software and its even more lovely because with out this i would still be stuck on a windows based computer. Now im going to be able to simply draw the basic tool paths i need and get them cutting in record time. I make a lot of simple profiled sprockets and such and this will be awesome at it. Don't get me wrong, one day i would love a fully featured 3 axis mill and also the 3d cad to go with it and especially the 3d cam but cost wise its crazy, a couple of jobs and i will have the profit to cover q cad.

AdamA
Newbie Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:21 am

OK got it,

this.writeLine("F" + Math.round(this.getFeedrate()));

Was all i had to add to the header bit. could not get this.getFeedrate() alone to do it, so i went looking in the other posts, of cause it does not add it as i had not told it to write it (duhhhhhh!!!) Not really sure what the math.round bit does, (rounds up decimal places???) but hay ho its in there and works sweat

Now to go try it on the machine tommorow, its 1am here been at this since 10am, so had enough for the day. Still not sure what language this is, but hey i definitely learnt a fair bit about it and programming today! Cutting the metal with the programmes the easy bit, been doing that for the last 2 decades so should be a lot easier day tomoz.

Thanks once again

this.writeline("Adam")

:-)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 am

Glad you figured it out.
AdamA wrote:Not really sure what the math.round bit does
It rounds floating point numbers to integers (i.e. whole numbers):
http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_round.asp
Still not sure what language this is