Automated layering in Q-CAD?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

AdvancedIronBoi
Newbie Member

Automated layering in Q-CAD?

Post by AdvancedIronBoi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi,

I am layering parts in Q-CAD by creating a new layer, then manually clicking on features/lines/holes and adding to layer.
Is there a way to create a layering template in Q-CAD that recognizes holes & outlines of parts and automatically layers them without me clicking?
Would love to automate this process.
Would appreciate any kind of input.

Thanks!!!

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Automated layering in Q-CAD?

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi,
AdvancedIronBoi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 pm
Is there a way to create a layering template in Q-CAD that recognizes holes & outlines of parts and automatically layers them without me clicking?
No.
AdvancedIronBoi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 pm
I am layering parts in Q-CAD by creating a new layer, then manually clicking on features/lines/holes and adding to layer.
Common practice is to make the appropriated layer active and then draw the entities. That makes sure that the entities are always on the correct layer. Your approach sounds to me to fix a result of not following this common practice. However - using the Selection Filter could help to speed up the process ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Automated layering in Q-CAD?

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Two new tools have been added for the next QCAD/CAM release to automatically select inner contours (islands) or outer contours. The selection can then easily be moved to a separate layer.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”