[solved] Newbie Question: Dimensions not displaying accurately

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

kjlinders5
Newbie Member

[solved] Newbie Question: Dimensions not displaying accurately

Post by kjlinders5 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:25 pm

Hi

I'm new to QCAD but not new to architectural drawing. I have some experience years ago with a different CAD software package. Not a novice and definitely not a power user.

I'm using QCAD Community Version
Version: 3.27.8.0 (3.27.8)
Internet: QCAD.org
Build Date: Oct 6 2022
Revision: dea3962
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: MSVC++ 14.0 (2015)
I have a Desktop computer running Windows 11 Home 64 bit with 12 GB of Installed RAM

My problem.
I'm drawing a template to drill holes accurately in an acrylic panel for a router sled I'm building. I'm using linear bearings. The bearing blocks are 50x54 mm and the hole pattern is 40x40 mm.

I draw up the rectangle with the dimensions and layout lines for the holes. When I dimension the drawing the dimensions are way off. My 54 mm side is 152.1 mm and the 50 mm side is 56.3 mm. When I print the drawing and don't Fit to Page, the drawing seems to be spot on.

I have attached the drawing.

I used Drawing Preferences to set Drawing Units to Metric and millimeters. Dimension Settings are mm with a Scale Factor of 1.

What am I doing wrong or not setting up properly? I usually draw in imperial but will switch to metric as needed as in this case. The drawings supplied with the linear bearing are in metric. I would like the dimensions of my drawings to be accurate for my future build projects like a workbench, miter table station and the like.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and advice.
Attachments
Linear Bearing Block Layout Jig.dxf
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Newbie Question: Dimensions not displaying accurately

Post by CVH » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:03 am

For some reason your linear measurement factor is 2.81690141.
When adding a dimension the scale should be 1:1.
See dimension tool options in the Options Toolbar usually just above the drawing panel.
Most QCAD tool use this Toolbar for listing their options.

To fix the existing dimensions.
Select them all and set the linear measurement factor to 1.0 in the Property Editor.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Newbie Question: Dimensions not displaying accurately

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:11 am

Hi,

1. First things first. Your Qcad CE version is from 2022. To save you (and us :wink: ) unnecessary headaches I recommend to update to the most current version. It is still a free version but many bugs are eliminated since 2022.

3.29.3 (2024/01/23)
Download Trial / CE all supported OS
https://www.qcad.org/en/download

Removing the Trial Add-Ons (= converting to Free version)
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 668#p17085

2. Your dim issue: When you launch a dim tool an Option bar pops up above the Modelspace. Please double check the scale for the dim. It should be set to 1:1 or 1.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

kjlinders5
Newbie Member

Re: Newbie Question: Dimensions not displaying accurately SOLVED

Post by kjlinders5 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:26 am

Thanks Husky and CVH !!!!

I updated my version as directed.

I found that the Dimension Scale was set to 0.355. Once I set that to 1, the dimensions became accurate.

Thanks again.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”