Printing drawing to a single printed paper page

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

c_hurley
Newbie Member

Printing drawing to a single printed paper page

Post by c_hurley » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Fidora core 21 fully patched
QCad community 3.8.1.0
I have created a floor plan of a 10 foot by 20 foot shed with two rectangles in it representing some stuff I want to put in the shed when I'm done.

I am trying to get a printout on a single page.

So far I have verified that the page is set to ANSI A 8 1/2 by 11, using colors and the background is set to white.

When I use print preview I get a representation of the page set against a huge set of pages that measure out into the feet of length and width. Printing from this representation I get twenty or more blank pages out before I interrupt and cancel the print job.

When I set the print scale I'm selecting 1/4" = 1 foot so I'm pretty sure the drawing will fit on an US letter sized page.

Hope someone can straighten me out.

As has been pointed out to me, the Pro version has an option on the print preview menu to select a single page. The version I'm using does not have that option.

When I check 'Help about' I do not get a message that this version is a Community Version. I used it for several days before I realized that I needed to delete the 'extra' Pro version scripts in order to get uninterrupted use of the application. I never tried to print before deleting the 'extras'. The drawing I'm trying to print has been newly created in this version of QCAD. It is not imported from another application or another version of QCAD. It is just a small drawing and should be able to be output to a single printed paper page no problem, unless there are internal restrictions that only the professional verrsion may use of course.

Thanks.

carl

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Printing drawing to a single printed paper page

Post by Husky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:16 am

Hello carl - thanks for this new post in the right section. :wink:
c_hurley wrote:When I use print preview I get a representation of the page set against a huge set of pages that measure out into the feet of length and width. Printing from this representation I get twenty or more blank pages out before I interrupt and cancel the print job.
I assume that has something to do with the trial mode of QCAD Pro.

Lets make a simple test (without the Pro trial scripts!)

Please create a NEW drawing with the same settings (Drawing unit Foot / Page Size Letter) and draw a rectangle 20 by 10.
Start the Print preview and choose the same scale for the print out 1/4 = 1

I'm pretty sure it will now work flawless with just one page. I'm right?

If so please send me a PM with the "multi page troublemaker Floor Plan drawing" and I'm happy to fix it for you.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

c_hurley
Newbie Member

Post by c_hurley » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:45 am

You are correct Husky.

I forgot that I started the previous drawing before I deleted the 'pro' scripts. The poor drawing was very confused. I think this is an interesting aside.

Since I read on another post that I could try to export the drawing to a pdf and attempt to print it from there.

When I did that the drawing size on disk went from 30.3 kB to 224.1 kB. When I opened the drawing in the pdf reader I had a document of 384 pages and my little 10' by 20' drawing was on page 361. All the rest of the pages were plain white.

I would like to test this version a little more before I purchase the 'pro' version.

Since I've discovered that the drawings do not behave the same when created in a pro version and operated on in the Community edition, what should I expect when I do convert to the pro. Will I have to recreate all my work in that version to make them print, or anything, correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:55 am

c_hurley wrote:...

I would like to test this version a little more before I purchase the 'pro' version.

Since I've discovered that the drawings do not behave the same when created in a pro version and operated on in the Community edition, what should I expect when I do convert to the pro. Will I have to recreate all my work in that version to make them print, or anything, correctly.
Hi carl,

Take your time - test the Community edition as long as you need to and compare the differences with that what you really need. A list of all differences can be found here:
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features

I would recommend to make the test with the newest Trial/Community Edition which is the Version 3.11.3
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial
If you download the newest version please make sure that you install it in a "fresh" empty subdirectory (never overwrite an old QCAD installation!).

And yes - I can assure that any created drawing from the Trial / Community edition will work in the Pro version without any break. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

c_hurley
Newbie Member

Post by c_hurley » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks you, Husky.

The original query has been answered and I consider it is solved.

This will end this thread.

carl

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”