Saved file while inside a block editing dropped rest

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

massimo

Saved file while inside a block editing dropped rest

Post by massimo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi,

I saved a file last time while being inside a block editing. Next load I only see the block itself, the rest of the drawing is gone. The saved blocks are all there but not the drawing itself. I tried leaving block editing but that was not block editing ongoing.
Now I can't reproduce this issue, is that something known?

Good I had my daily btrfs snapshots, thinking if I could better do that hourly. QCad itself doesn't have some versioning or rotating backups? I know I could manage that with git or hg, just didn't started that big projects with QCad yet with version control.
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Saved file while inside a block editing dropped rest

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am

massimo wrote:I saved a file last time while being inside a block editing. Next load I only see the block itself, the rest of the drawing is gone.
This seems an unlikely bug. What block is being displayed has no effect on the underlying drawing data that is being saved to a file.

Common issues could be:
- Having multiple drawings open and saving drawing A under a name, then saving drawing B under the same name.
- Opening and saving the same file in / from multiple applications

Please post back if you are able to reproduce this.

Backing up regularly and automatically is always a good idea. A simpler solution can be to create a folder per project and save your drawing under a new after every major change / after a while (mydrawing001.dxf, mydrawing002.dxf, ...).

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”