dimension

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: dimension

Post by Husky » Sat May 13, 2023 12:18 am

SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 pm
I am a scientist and electrical engineer. I have used a variety of computer aided design programs over the years but have only a little experience with mechanical design.
Thank you for the additional information!
SMR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm
I still do not know how to post a screen shot. Printscreen and Ctrl V do not work.
If you use the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard the screenshot will be stored in the clipboard of Windows. The forum software will not accept Ctrl V but it will accept pics from file. Common praxis would be to use screen capture programs for this task. You can find a ton of them for free in the www. If you like to stick to "Print Screen" then you need to find a way to save the clipboard content as a file to your computer. While you are on Win11 maybe a Microsoft Program would be the right choice for you.
MS offers a free program called "Paste into File".
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail ... X1XTPKZJDJ
After installing this program you are able to save the clipboard content into a file on your computer. This file can then be used to be inserted into a forum post.
Procedere would be:
Hit "Print Screen" on your Keyboard,
launch the "Paste into File" program,
in the up-poping dialog it will ask you where to save the clipboard content,
switch to the forum software - load this pic as attachment to your post.

This tutorial will explain it step by step:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3760
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat May 13, 2023 12:22 am

SMR wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:03 am
This will be my last post before I discard the program. I will reiterate for the once last time that I ask for vertical dimension, the command line says set first extension, I click on that, it says set second extension and when I move the mouse it draws a line. The command line is not being followed by the program. If there is no answer to this I will just discard the program. I cannot waste more time one it.
Ok, sounds to me you have less patience with the program than us with trying to help you.

SMR wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:03 am
I cannot waste more time one it.
Yep - I feel the same way! I'm out of this conversation.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

SMR
Newbie Member

Post by SMR » Sat May 13, 2023 1:05 am

You never gave me a suggestion that worked. I have no reason to be patient.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am

SMR wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:05 am
You never gave me a suggestion that worked.
Sorry to hear that but adding a dimension to a drawing should be a simple 3 click action.

Try this:
1) Start a new drawing. menu File .. New (Ctrl+N) or use type Ctrl+N what is the shortcut key sequence for this.

2) Type the 'D' key and then the 'A' key what is the shortcut for Dim Aligned (DA).
The Command History should list Command: dimaligned
The left mouse button tip should be 'First extension line origin'.
With the cursor on the drawing area you should see a large cross-hair at the cursor.
The tool expect you to indicate a position.
The Option Toolbar should look like this:
=> The tool icon, no dimension label prefix, no max nor min tolerances and creation in scale factor 1.0
DimAlignedOptions.png
DimAlignedOptions.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
These 'boxes' or input fields are unrelated to indicated positions for a dimension from A to B with the text at C. :wink:
BTW: in post 40783 I explained to attach a picture file. This one is made by Prt_Screen and pasted in Windows7 Paint and saved.

At the left side you should see the Snapping tool panel. I assume AUTO with no restrictions.
The tool still expect you to indicate the first position and offers all the snapping capabilities.

3) Indicate your first point somewhere on the drawing area and click once left.
It really doesn't matter where. :wink:
The left mouse button tip should now be 'Second extension line origin'.
In the drawing it should now show a preview like this:
DimAlignedFirst.png
DimAlignedFirst.png (14.84 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
At one side the dimension is sticking to your cursor and the other side is fixed on first coordinate.

This is the state we are interested in, the creation of the dimension should be ongoing. e_geek
Please provide us in a picture file with a full screen grab.

The rest of the action would be indicating the second extension line coordinate and then where to put the dimension text label.
You stated that a rectangle occurs:
Please provide us in a picture file with a full screen grab of that too.
You stated that a transaction warning occurred:
Please provide us the file or part of it and explain what actions you take.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Chat”