Just for fun - QCAD drawing challenge !!!

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Just for fun - QCAD drawing challenge !!!

Post by Clive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Guys
A good way to improve your drawing skills with QCAD is indeed just by drawing.
For those of you who are interested, I have set a challenge as follows - it is of course just for fun, but hopefully it will help you to explore different tools and aspects of QCAD that you may not ordinarily use 8). This challenge will get you thinking about using construction lines a lot and if you attempt the whole challenge then it will get you thinking about the 'isometric' projection possibilities of QCAD too.
The drawing challenge is of a masonry stonework construction.

Some hints to get you started:
Set up layers
Use construction lines
Rotate Two tool
Isometric projection tool
Isometric View - grid options
Hatch tool

Please feel free to post finished drawings here too and share any tips and tricks that you find along the way, which may help others!

Attached:
1. Part finished drawing dxf - which you will need to complete.
Masonry drawing challenge.dxf
(107.02 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times
2. This is what the finished 'Front' view should look like.
Challenge 1.png
Challenge 1.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 68066 times
3. This is what an 'Isometric' projection of the front view should look like - you will need to finish and use the front view for this.
Isometric challenge.png
Isometric challenge.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 68066 times
Have fun :wink:

Clive

Re: Just for fun - QCAD drawing challenge !!!

Post by Clive » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 am

Okay guys, I posted this little challenge back in July of this year. Did anyone attempt and finish it ?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Grunt
Registered Member

Post by Grunt » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Clive.

I've recently downloaded Qcad after trying other drawing software and not being able to get on with them. Qcad certainly meets my needs and is very user friendly. The last time I mucked about with CAD was 15 or so years ago on Auto Cad. So with some trepidation I will rise to your drawing challenge.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. Is there an 'array' option f the central circle of 'bricks' or is it move/ copy?
2. Is it possible to copy from one layer to another, deleting the selected entity from it's original layer?

Thanks in advance.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 am

Grunt, welcome to the forum.

Just picked this up, been busy with festive stuff.
Grunt wrote: 1. Is there an 'array' option f the central circle of 'bricks' or is it move/ copy?
2. Is it possible to copy from one layer to another, deleting the selected entity from it's original layer?
1.The Rotate Two tool is used.
2.Select required layer,use the Move/Copy tool and in the dialog window choose to delete the original or you can use the 'Cut' with reference tool and paste to the new layer.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Just saw this and it looked interesting. You've already done all the hard work! A few copies, rotates, mirrors, etc. and the front was complete. Hatching the interior space too longer. :)

But can the 3D isometric projection be done with the community edition? I was able to do a projection of the front face, but not the side. Do I need to draw the side as viewed edge-on? If there's an option to integrate different faces into an isometric drawing in the CE, I've not found it.

Thanks!

(Edit - After digging a bit further, I'm seeing signs I can manually draw the isometric view, using the proper grid/projection, correct? After all this is a 2D program, not 3D :wink: )
Attachments
Masonry drawing challenge - Len.dxf
(458.7 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm

lphilpot wrote:Just saw this and it looked interesting. You've already done all the hard work! A few copies, rotates, mirrors, etc. and the front was complete. Hatching the interior space too longer. :)
Looks like you are already on the right track. Great!
lphilpot wrote:If there's an option to integrate different faces into an isometric drawing in the CE, I've not found it.
Yes, check the option box which pops up when you launch the "Isometric Projection" tool ...
Husky-2017.11.14-01.png
Husky-2017.11.14-01.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 60229 times
... but that doesn't works on this Masonry example (view from the left!). The given shape requires more manual labor which is again an easier task in Pro. But still not a one button solution!

However - to get a feeling how it works you may try something like this.
Husky-2017.11.14-02.png
Husky-2017.11.14-02.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 60229 times
This is drawn without a grid.
lphilpot wrote:(Edit - After digging a bit further, I'm seeing signs I can manually draw the isometric view, using the proper grid/projection, correct? After all this is a 2D program, not 3D :wink: )
Grid would be one of many different ways to accomplish this task. Please note - this Isometric Feature is just a little help to design a projection. It wasn't the goal to have a "one click" solution. And as you already stated - it is still 2D.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 am

So how does this look?

It's not perfect -- I discovered (after I deleted the oblique geometry I would've needed for accuracy) that I hadn't drawn quite all the receding edges of the bricks around the top edge quite as far as I could've... but I wasn't going back and doing the copies all over again! Also, I don't have any edges on the far right-hand side, but neither does Clive's original (from what I can see in the image). Being an oblique drawing, it's not vanishing-point-perspective correct, but that's not the point here, I think. :wink:

It was a good exercise in copy, relative polar coordinates, endpoint snap, 2-point lines, trim, etc. :) Even no larger / complicated than it is, it certainly drove home the point of 3D CAD where 3D CAD is needed!

Thanks for the challenge!
Attachments
Masonry drawing challenge - Len.dxf
(518.66 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 am

lphilpot wrote:So how does this look?
Well done! :D
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:08 am

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am

Well done Len, I posted this in the summer time, four years ago, time....where on earth does it go - or does it go at all?

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks - The way I did it (in the CE) was highly repetitive, but that's often characteristic of CAD work anyway, from what I've seen. The repetition, practice and discipline are all worthwhile.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 am

lphilpot wrote:The repetition, practice and discipline are all worthwhile.
I'll second that! :D

This is a project what I've done with a 2D CAD Program in the eighties. No perspective support at all - just the common CAD tools at that time.
Husky-2017.11.17-01.png
Husky-2017.11.17-01.png (246.47 KiB) Viewed 60154 times
After that I was skilled in that discipline. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any idea what kind of perspective technic I used ....? e_confused

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Looks like two vanishing points to me...? Must've had lots of construction lines! :)

In the 80s I was doing graphic design, not CAD. The early 90s and CorelDRAW was about as close as I got... Unless you count the copy of EasyCAD that came with MS-DOS 3.3 and my first PC.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 pm

lphilpot wrote:Looks like two vanishing points to me...? Must've had lots of construction lines! :)
Correct! And yes ...................... a ton of construction lines. :shock:

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

What is that, by the way? Looks like some kind of aggregate shaker / sorter, maybe part of mining? Or am way off base? :wink:
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “Chat”