How generate 3D image from qcad dxf file

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

michelm
Registered Member

How generate 3D image from qcad dxf file

Post by michelm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:40 am

I love your QCAD program and have purchased the pro license. I basically create 2D dxf files to create multirotor carbon fiber frames. Though after I finished creating the 2D file, it would be nice to import the dxf file to another program so can push and pull the various parts and assemble them to create an image of the final product. Do you recommend any program that is free or inexpensive that can take the dxf file so I can generate a 3D image of what I created?

Edit: [Topic moved - discussion about other CAD software]

Clive

Re: How generate 3D image from qcad dxf file

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 am

michelm wrote:I love your QCAD program and have purchased the pro license. I basically create 2D dxf files to create multirotor carbon fiber frames. Though after I finished creating the 2D file, it would be nice to import the dxf file to another program so can push and pull the various parts and assemble them to create an image of the final product. Do you recommend any program that is free or inexpensive that can take the dxf file so I can generate a 3D image of what I created?
Hi michelm

Welcome to the forum :)

Have a look at FreeCAD:

http://www.freecadweb.org/

Great program to use in my opinion and free of course - please ask related FreeCAD questions on the forum there.

J-J

Post by J-J » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Clive,
You picked my curiosity...I installed the program to see if I could generate some 3D views of my designs...Seems quite complex e_confused

JJ Win7 pro-64

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi J-J

Yes at first it seems complicated, but when you start and follow the tutorials you soon pick it up :wink:

It's actually got a lot of potential and being open source there are a lot of people involved now.

0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:30 am

I used the free version of PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0 with great success to create 3D models and STL files from my 2D drawings.

You can easily import a DXF file to a workplane and then extrude it, chamfer edges etc. and finally save it to STL.
Unfortunately, the license server is down for nearly two months now and PTC doesn't seem to care.

It's still usable, but you need to request a 72h hour license via web again and again and again...

[EDIT]
License server for PTC Creo is working again since today.

Return to “Chat”