Layers, Blocks

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Mr Confused

Layers, Blocks

Post by Mr Confused » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:07 am

I would like to ask about some drawing practices, regarding layers: when drawing some construction with multiple parts all stacking together to make a whole. is it correct to turn off a layer to gain access to another layer for editing? this appears not to work, so what is the correct method to deal with this situation.
As an example if i draw a car chassis then begin to draw the body on another layer over top in order to connect all the relevant points correctly, this would be the correct way to use CAD right?
later i start to turn individual components into blocks for editing or copying, however it seems there is not a way to select the forest from the trees, if the part is buried deep in the drawing? should i be able to turn off layers to get access to select a buried part?
what is the correct procedure for doing this kind of work?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Layers, Blocks

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 am

Mr Confused wrote:I would like to ask about some drawing practices, regarding layers: when drawing some construction with multiple parts all stacking together to make a whole. is it correct to turn off a layer to gain access to another layer for editing?
No, every layer is accessible regardless how many layer in your drawing. Needless to say that they need to be visible and not locked.
Note:
Every modification (move, trim etc. etc.) on existing entities will stay on that particular layer. Every new entity will be placed on the active layer!
If you lock a layer you can't select, modify or place anything on this layer - but you can still use the entities on this locked layer for all your snap purposes!
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png (7.53 KiB) Viewed 8757 times
Mr Confused wrote:As an example if i draw a car chassis then begin to draw the body on another layer over top in order to connect all the relevant points correctly, this would be the correct way to use CAD right?
Yes.
Mr Confused wrote:... however it seems there is not a way to select the forest from the trees, if the part is buried deep in the drawing? should i be able to turn off layers to get access to select a buried part?
The magic symbol is an eye which makes a layer visible or invisible :wink:
Husky-2016.03.21-01.png
Husky-2016.03.21-01.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 8757 times
Sometimes is the easiest way to toggle the visibility off for ALL layer ...
Husky-2016.03.21-03.png
Husky-2016.03.21-03.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 8757 times
... and then just toggle the needed layer back to visible.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Mr Confused

Post by Mr Confused » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:42 pm

noted thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:04 pm

Mr Confused: Your new, unrelated question has been moved to a separate thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4086

Return to “Chat”