QCAD Files and AutoCad Software

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

alcpe

QCAD Files and AutoCad Software

Post by alcpe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:08 pm

I use QCAD Professional Version 3. I have some questions about QCAD-generated drawings for use with other CAD software. For example, I created one drawing that has 11 layers. I would like to send this drawing to someone who uses AutoCad software. Will the AutoCad software be able to open and turn on/off the layers of the QCAD drawing? I downloaded a DWG/DXF viewer (TurboCAD DoubleCAD XT V5) to view AutoCad drawings sent to me. The DoubleCAD software has worked perfectly on every AutoCad drawing I have received, and it turns on/off all layers of those files. However, the DoubleCAD software will not open my QCAD drawings. So, what is the best solution for me to exchange files with an AutoCad user?

Clive

Re: QCAD Files and AutoCad Software

Post by Clive » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm

AutoCAD will read and write QCAD drawings.

Depending on which AutoCAD version is used you may need to save QCAD drawings to earlier DXF/DWG versions - for example IMSI's DoubleCAD will most likely not open current DXF or DWG versions so you would in this instance save a QCAD drawing to an earlier DXF/DWG version which would be compatible.
This is common practice everywhere, I send CAD drawings to people who are still using AutoCAD 2007, so I have to make sure my CAD drawings are saved to an earlier versions in these cases!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

alcpe

Post by alcpe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 am

OK, Clive. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give that a try. Now, on a related issue: the reason I installed DoubleCAD was that I was sent an AutoCAD DWG file that my QCAD Pro 3 would not properly open and view. Although QCAD opens the file (sort of), it will not turn on/off layers of the file. However, DoubleCAD opens the same AutoCAD file and turns all layers on/off (the AutoCAD file can be viewed perfectly in the DoubleCAD software). From your previous response, I am suspecting that the AutoCAD version is again the problem. So, is there any way that QCAD can be "told" to open the AutoCAD DWG file under a different version rule? (In other words, how does DoubleCAD "know" what version AutoCAD DWG file it is attempting to open?). THANKS for your help!

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:41 am

alcpe,
is it possible to attach the file or similar for testing?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

alcpe

Post by alcpe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Clive, I tried to forward the file via Private Message but the file is too large.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Got it, thanks.

Return to “Chat”