Save As Format

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

kenterm

Save As Format

Post by kenterm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 am

I am a new QCAD user but have previous CAD experience. I am using Ver. 3.19.2.

I assume that R32 [2018] DXF is the latest format. However, when saving a file R27 [2013] DXF comes up as the default format and if I do not notice that and do not change it I am writing a file using an older standard. Which should I be using and why? If R32, then why does it not come up as the default? There must be a reason. Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Save As Format

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 am

Hello kenterm - welcome to the QCAD Forum.
kenterm wrote:I am using Ver. 3.19.2.
An answer regards to the used QCAD Version. Do you use Trial, CE or Pro? Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

kenterm

Post by kenterm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am

Sorry about that.

I am fairly new to QCAD but have used TurboCad much over the years.

I am using QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit] & W7 [64-bit].

I do not post here unless I have checked the Andrew Mustun book, the online help and this forum for an answer.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for the additional info.
kenterm wrote: I assume that R32 [2018] DXF is the latest format.
Correct.
kenterm wrote: However, when saving a file R27 [2013] DXF comes up as the default format and if I do not notice that and do not change it I am writing a file using an older standard.
Below Application Preferences you are able to define the default format. This will be used for every NEW drawing.
Husky-2018.01.01-03.png
Husky-2018.01.01-03.png (104 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
In the case that you loaded an existing drawing with an "older" format it will be saved (simple Save command) with the same format .... except when you use the "Save us" command and has changed the format accordingly in the dialog.
Husky-2018.01.01-04.png
Husky-2018.01.01-04.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
From now on it will be saved with the new format

kenterm wrote:Which should I be using and why? If R32, then why does it not come up as the default?
I would always use the latest edition - in this case R32. But it depends on your daily task. QCAD Pro covers a LOT of dxf/dwg formats. :shock:
Husky-2018.01.01-06.png
Husky-2018.01.01-06.png (25.05 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
kenterm wrote:There must be a reason.
Yes - the reason is called compatibility! QCAD Pro is able to read and write all the different dxf/dwg file formats but unfortunately not all other software's out there are that up to date or for other reason not willing to use the actual format. To cover ALL possibilities QCAD Pro provides the latest standard and keeps the door wide open to exchange drawings with e.g. a R15 read/write software.
kenterm wrote:I do not post here unless I have checked the Andrew Mustun book, the online help and this forum for an answer.
Thank you. We really appreciate this attitude. If you can't find a satisfying answer please feel free to post your question in this forum and we are happy to help you!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

kenterm

Post by kenterm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks. Believe it or not I looked under Application Preferences and just plain missed it.

Return to “Chat”