Signatures and avatars

Have some feedback on the RibbonSoft web site? Want something added to the QCAD online manual? Post it here!

Moderator: andrew

Panchdara
Premier Member

Signatures and avatars

Post by Panchdara » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I have a small observation with the way signatures (and avatars -to a point) are displayed. Yes, they are useful, BUT, perhaps a snapshot copy of the signature at the time of posting should be saved... ie at the time of posting then that signature remains with that post. As an example, if I make a post with certain questions/bug(s)/irregularities with that product then the signature (stating OS, Software version, environment at that time) should remain static and not be updated to show any new (unrelated) signature. Likewise for an avatar although not as pressing.

I have this scenario when dealing with statistical data - the data maintains the link data at the time of entry, not any updated link data. Storage is cheap.

I hope this makes sense?

Best regards
Windows 10

Panchdara
Premier Member

Re: Signatures and avatars

Post by Panchdara » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:25 pm

I'd like to bump this topic... signatures should be static with the message as it can contain version pertinent info.
Windows 10

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 pm

You seem to speak out from experience.

so yes, if so, bumped, those should remain static.

Regards,
CVH

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Please understand that the forum is using a product called "phpBB" which we use but are not actively involved in.

You might want to post version information with your post and not include that in the signature.

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Yeah Andrew, I had a notion that it was a product function that was not user-configurable. Perhaps, the authors of the product phpBB would have figured out this earlier in their history. I know that in my database experience this would have been a default... placing the current "signature" takes a snapshot of the topic. at that time...

On a separate note: to ALL on this forum and anyone visiting - I wish y'all the very best in these difficult times. Hugh
Windows 10

Return to “Site Feedback”