model railroad track planning

This forum is for 'Work-in-Progress' QCAD user developed script Add Ons and Plug-ins.

Please use this forum to request/submit your script Add-Ons & Plug-in idea's.

Moderators: andrew, Husky, J-J

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: model railroad track planning

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:32 pm

Clive wrote:The 'Create Track' dialog window is opening properly now, thanks very much :D
That is what I like to hear! Thanks for the feedback! :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am

Clive wrote:The 'Create Track' dialog window is opening properly now, thanks very much
Glad to see, thanks for reporting! :D
Husky wrote:Coordinate Formates are partly mixed up.
In "Create Track" I see my QCAD settings used (Decimal Point = DOT).
In Variegate I have to use Comma and the Dialog is showing both - dot and comma.
Yes. :( I have to change all current QDoubleSpinBox widgets into RMathLineEdit widgets, then everything should look "well and like QCad". :wink: Unfortunately, so far I couldn't convince Qt Designer to promote LineEdit as RMathLineEdit, so at the moment on dialog changes I have to manually change LineEdit <=> RMathLineEdit twice. But at the moment the user interface seems to be kind of stable, so I will change all dialogs for the next version. :) I was very busy the last days, but I am full of hope for QCTrack making progress the next days. :)

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Sooooo. 8) Attached was the current version 76 with most of Husky's suggestions. The new function "Insert exploded block" might be useful to re-use existing blocks (and even might be useful for "normal" use beside QCTrack). All dialogs should be consistent with other QCad dialogs (no QDoubleSpinBox, instead only RMathLineEdit).

Please feel free to post any suggestion or comment here, I'm happy to see people using QCTrack. :)

Edit: found a bug in Variegate / Fill Straight after moving to RMathEditLine. After fixing it, there will be a new post.
Last edited by smf on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Attached is another (basic) example library for Ninco slot car tracks.
Attachments
NincoSchienen.dxf
Ninco slot car tracks to use with QCTrack
(124.47 KiB) Downloaded 2593 times

smf
Premier Member

Tutorial step 8: align

Post by smf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Attached is an example of how to use the QCTrack align function. If you have one or more tracks that should be aligned to another track but moved only on an (may be arbitrary) axis, you can do this:
  • Select tracks to align.
  • Select QCTrack / Align or type QA.
  • Select to-be-aligned track end.
  • Select target track end.
  • Select track axis.
At the start of the animated GIF the three curves are inserted via Track Widget in combination with QN and QR (insert new track and rotate).
Attachments
Align.gif
QCTrack align
Align.gif (268.15 KiB) Viewed 428938 times

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Fixed Variegate in QCTrack version 77.
Attachments
QCTrack_V77_VariegateFix.zip
QCTrack version 77
(59.58 KiB) Downloaded 2670 times

smf
Premier Member

Tutorial step 9: Fill with straight tracks

Post by smf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Attached is an example of how to use the QCTrack align function. If you have track ends in a straight line, you can (try to) connect them:
  • Select QCTrack / Fill with straight tracks or type QF.
  • Select track ends to connect.
  • Check / modify maximum use of track elements (first example: 077 is limited to 1, second example: 077 is unlimited) and hit "Ok".
  • Wait. This can really take some time if you have many different track elements and/or a long distance.
  • Select one combination. In the result table, each column show one combination with overall-length and element-count (overall and per track element type).
  • Hit Ok.
Attachments
FillStraight.gif
QCTrack fill with straight tracks
FillStraight.gif (395.66 KiB) Viewed 428929 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:56 pm

smf wrote:The new function "Insert exploded block" might be useful to re-use existing blocks (and even might be useful for "normal" use beside QCTrack).
Hi smf - it seems you are really busy. :D

Thanks for the new version - I'm right now trying to understand this "Insert exploded block". :oops:

Ok, I can insert an exploded block in my drawing, the block name is still in the block list but empty - and the previously inserted copies in my drawing (of this particular block) will all be gone.
And then .... ?

That makes not really sense to me - what more do I need to know about this new feature to understand the purpose of it. 8)
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi Husky,
Husky wrote:Ok, I can insert an exploded block in my drawing, the block name is still in the block list but empty - and the previously inserted copies in my drawing (of this particular block) will all be gone.
And then .... ?
That makes not really sense to me - what more do I need to know about this new feature to understand the purpose of it.
Hum, ok. I see some :?: :?: :?: here. :wink:

My intention was to provide a tool that inserts the exploded elements of a block into another block - so far I couldn't find a way in QCad to insert the elements of a block into another block without inserting it on the model_paper, then exploding it and then cut+paste into the destination block. I think this could be useful if you have something like a three-way-turnout or parts beside a track you want to re-use.

Does this make any sense? :? :roll:

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:39 pm

...insert exploded track seems to work - but not the way it is wanted... e_surprised The original lines are removed and not cloned although clone is called... I have to debug this... :oops:

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:28 am

Attached is version 78 with fixed Insert Exploded Block (now the elements are really copied).
Attachments
QCTrack_V78_InsExpCreateFix.zip
QCTrack version 78
(59.61 KiB) Downloaded 2527 times

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:30 am

Attached is a library for "Märklin Spur Z" (Maerklin 1:220 scale) tracks. The creation of the double-slip switch (German: "Doppelkreuzungsweiche") was a bit tricky, so perhaps the library may be useful for people playing with Maerklin Z.
Attachments
MaerklinZ.dxf
Maerklin Z
(922.67 KiB) Downloaded 2525 times

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Attached is an example for Maerklin Z as dxf and image:
Allg_Z01_Frueher.png
Maerklin Z plan image
Allg_Z01_Frueher.png (95.1 KiB) Viewed 429451 times
Attachments
Allg_Z01_Frueher.dxf
Maerklin Z plan
(979.31 KiB) Downloaded 2636 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:20 am

Hello smf 8)

I used your Spielplan.dxf for testing and one of my experience is this: Two single straight tracks (MC24172) in my drawing, not connected (distance ~740.81...), Tool "Fill with straight tracks" and this settings ...
Worldhusky-2015.01.21-02.png
Worldhusky-2015.01.21-02.png (30.27 KiB) Viewed 429304 times
... will crash QCAD Pro on my XP. Maybe I did something wrong but on the other hand it should not crash QCAD. Any Idea on this?

Secondly: Not "extremely" important but nice to have for all upcoming user would be a sort of Version Info. What do you think?

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Husky,

thanks for the report, I can reproduce this: QCad is crashing under XUbuntu 14.04, too. I think this has something to do with "no result" and "ok clicking" - if there is no solution, a message should appear or at least the ok-button should be disabled. I will insert this in the next version. And yes, some kind of "version info" would be nice, but, hm, in a separate menu item "QCTrack version"?

Return to “QCAD 'Script Add-On & Plug-in challenge' - Work in Progress”