A360 viewer shows arcs not connected to lines

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

JohnnyP

A360 viewer shows arcs not connected to lines

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:44 am

Noob here

Mac 10.6.8
Qcad 3.13.1

I am designing a control panel using a pcb layout program (PCB-ST). It lets you draw lines and arcs to 0.001", but does not connect them. It lets you save as a PDF, then I use pdf2cad for Mac to convert to DXF.

Then I open Qcad to fix the problems. The converter makes crappy arcs, so I delete them and draw real arcs in Qcad, snapping to "End". In drawing prefs, I set the precision to 0.0000.

Everything looks good, so I save as an R15 DXF, and open it in the A360 viewer. Zooming waywayway in, you can see the arcs do not join the end points of the lines:

https://a360.autodesk.com/viewer/id/dXJ ... gntype=dxf

andrew
Site Admin

Re: A360 viewer shows arcs not connected to lines

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:54 am

Arc geometries involve calculations which cannot be 100% precise. This has to do with the number PI which cannot be expressed exactly.

Your two options are:
- ignore the errors (they are probably on a sub-atomic level)
- convert the loose line and arc segments into a closed polyline for which end points are always connected (by definition)

JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 am

Andrew:

Thanks for the sanity check. And thanks for Qcad.

I am planning on having the panels laser cut from 0.040 aluminum. This is my first laser job, so I am not familiar with the requirements. I know the laser would blow through that, but will their software allow it?

Please teach me how to draw a rectangle with radiused corners. Or point me to that place in the manual.

JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Andrew:

Thanks again, I will check it out later today.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”