Tiny drawings

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Archi
Newbie Member

Tiny drawings

Post by Archi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi. We created drawings using the 'community' version of Q CAD which looked fine on screen (at a 1:50 scale with real size), but when we used print preview the drawings shrunk to a minute size & there was no visible picture. After much fiddling with the 'drawing preferences', setting the drawing and paper units both to millimetres & printing/paper scale to A4 size & viewpoint to 1:50 (zero point), we can actually see something of the drawings but they are still very small on the paper & are on 2 pieces rather than 1. Is there some way we can scale them up so they are visible & on one piece of A4 & keep a 1:50 scale to print (for planning submission)?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Tiny drawings

Post by Husky » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 am

Hello Archi - welcome to the forum.
Archi wrote:... Is there some way we can scale them up so they are visible & on one piece of A4 & keep a 1:50 scale to print (for planning submission)?
I'm pretty sure there is an easy way to scale them correctly ... :wink:
Could you please attach one of those drawings or at least an example drawing what shows the problem too. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Archi

Leave the view port scale in the drawing preferences at 1:1. Draw out your floor layout 1:1 in model space, then scale when you are in print preview.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Archi
Newbie Member

Post by Archi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Husky wrote:Hello Archi - welcome to the forum.
Archi wrote:... Is there some way we can scale them up so they are visible & on one piece of A4 & keep a 1:50 scale to print (for planning submission)?
I'm pretty sure there is an easy way to scale them correctly ... :wink:
Could you please attach one of those drawings or at least an example drawing what shows the problem too. Thanks.
Hi
Thanks for offer of help, much appreciated. I have attached the drawings - aiming to get all elevations on one piece of A4. Garden plan is also on the document, but this can go on a different piece of A4. I note the comment from Clive, but as the drawings are already done (I believe in 1:50) I think this is why his plan doesn't work.
Attachments
Elevations.dxf
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 532 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello Archi - thank you for the drawing!

First of all - there is a 1:1(I believe) copy in your drawing - I decided to delete one! Is that OK? :wink:
Husky-2016.10.03-02.png
Husky-2016.10.03-02.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
Archi wrote:
Husky wrote:I note the comment from Clive, but as the drawings are already done (I believe in 1:50) I think this is why his plan doesn't work.
Common practice is to draw everything in 1:1 - no matter how big your drawing is. For printing you will scale it down or up in the print dialog - not earlier.

I played a little bit with your drawing and this is the first approach to print it:
Husky-2016.10.03-03.png
Husky-2016.10.03-03.png (44.24 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
or
Husky-2016.10.03-01.png
Husky-2016.10.03-01.png (52.72 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
Is that what you are looking for? If yes I will explain what I have done. Oh, before I forgot it - I need one reference dimension to check the scale. Lengths of a wall or what ever is available.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Archi
Newbie Member

Post by Archi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Many thanks for looking at this. This is looking much more like what we were trying to do - ultimately we need to put all the elevations on one page for a planning application. The reference dimension is 5 metres for the end wall on the right of the floor plan diagram (side of kitchen).

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Ok - here is what needs to be done with the drawing ...

Load the drawing,
check Printing page size (Edit / Drawing Preferences) "Page",
Paper: reset Custom to A4, Viewport: Scale to 1:1, Offset: reset to Zero point,
OK
Drawing:
Scale drawing to 1:1 (in this case factor 100)
then (Edit / Drawing Preferences) "Dimension Settings"
Set Dimension Settings / Text height to 250
OK
Print Preview
Scale 1:50
Move Paper Position to that what needs to be printed
Auto Zoom to page
Print ;)
Husky-2016.10.11-01.png
Husky-2016.10.11-01.png (42.4 KiB) Viewed 9504 times

Archi
Newbie Member

Post by Archi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Many thanks for this. All working great now! Much appreciated.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”