Keeping up with all the updates

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Panchdara
Premier Member

Keeping up with all the updates

Post by Panchdara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Just when I think I've got the latest and greatest... wham... more updates on horizon... I'm certainly not complaining, just saying Wow... Thanks Andrew and all for keeping this the best CAD for value - I'm just dazzled by the number of improvements and bug fixes in such short periods. I'd rather these continuous improvements than those that are non-existent in other products (and high cost products at that - I'm biting my tongue not naming)

Thanks guys - always a great experience using QCAD!

:D
Windows 10

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Keeping up with all the updates

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a process that is almost fully automated for the QCAD and QCAD/CAM release process. It involves running hundreds of fully automated unit tests followed by automated building and deployment on eight different platforms, all running on virtual computers.

My goal is to publish approximately one update per month, more if there are significant problems with a release. X.X.0 releases are focusing on major new features, while X.X.X releases are primarily focusing on bug fixes.

There's absolutely no obligation to update if everything is working as expected. I'd recommend to always quickly glance at the changelog before updating.

It's also advisable (for any software) to keep the downloaded installer of at least one previous version in case a rollback is needed or the software has to be installed on a new computer.

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 pm

I need to change my subject line - Keeping up with all the INCREDIBLE updates.

Thanks Andrew. To Husky as well for all your most informative and supportive posts.

Andrew. QCAD has evolved an awful lot in the past 3 years. Are you considering updating to Edition 2 of your Introduction book? With all the additions I'd not be surprised if you'd get rousing applause (along with my re-purchase!)

Seasons greetings all at/on/for QCAD.

Hugh
Windows 10

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks for your feedback, it is highly appreciated!
Panchdara wrote:Are you considering updating to Edition 2 of your Introduction book?
I do update the QCAD book periodically to account for changes in the software handling or screenshots / icons. It is a book for beginners though and I feel it should probably not be expanded too much to keep it that way. For now, I'm sticking to tutorials in the forum to introduce newly added features.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

Hello Hugh,
Panchdara wrote:Thanks Andrew. To Husky as well for all your most informative and supportive posts.
My pleasure!
Panchdara wrote:Seasons greetings all at/on/for QCAD.
Happy Holidays to you too!

Husky
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

caigner

Post by caigner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 am

I second that! QCAD IS AWESOME!
I got hooked right from the beginning.

Thanks, Andrew!

Regards,
Christian
QCAD Pro on Gentoo Linux

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”