How to make cutouts, not just draw

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

tcarmen
Registered Member

How to make cutouts, not just draw

Post by tcarmen » Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 am

This seems like a really simple question, but I can't seem to find an answer with search or google.

I'm trying to make a 2D drawing to produce an SVG file to send to a laser cutting service to have a laser cut plastic sheet produced.

For example, say I want to make a 10" square with a 5" circle cut out out of the center.

I have no problem making the 10" square with a 5" circle in QCAD, but I can't seem to figure out a way to indicate that the circle should be cut out. It just appears as a circle drawn on the work area.

I'm obviously missing something but have no idea what, and any help would be appreciated.

Is it as simple as "all the lines get cut out" and I'll end up getting back a 10" square and a 5" circle, or is there something I need to do to indicate which is "the part I want" and "what is the part I don't care about"?

Thanks,

Terry

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to make cutouts, not just draw

Post by Husky » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 am

Hi Terry - welcome to the QCAD Forum.
tcarmen wrote:... SVG file to send to a laser cutting service to have a laser cut plastic sheet produced.
You're sure they are asking for a svg? If yes then there has to be an additional step (Website etc?) to determine which entity in your drawing has to be cut at the Outside, On or Inside the entity. In your case: Circle / Inside, Rectangle Outside. A plain svg (and also a dxf or dwg) has not such information.

Any chance that they accept a G-Code? A G-Code can be produced with the QCAD/CAM Program but I guess that would be only interesting for you if you need G-Code on a daily base ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”