Duplicate offset library part

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

vdanny

Duplicate offset library part

Post by vdanny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am

I've made a simple 2x4 stub from the rectangle tool and saved it as a library part so that its not 4 individual lines. I now would like to multiply it in offsets of 16", how do I do that? I can offset multiply the individual line yet not the library part as a whole???

THX
Dan

Windows 7
QCAD Professional

Version:
3.21.3.0 (3.21.3)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 17 2018
Revision:
4b91c8c
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Duplicate offset library part

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:28 am

vdanny wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am
I can offset multiply the individual line yet not the library part as a whole???
Make sure your 4 line rectangle library part is created (or converted) as a polyline. Then use the "Offset with distance" tool within the "Offset whole polyline" mode.

Husky-2019.02.07-01.png
Husky-2019.02.07-01.png (56.71 KiB) Viewed 14160 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 am

Do you want to make copies of the rectangle with a given distance, so that you have multiple, identical rectangles at different locations (copy / move tool) or do you actually want to offset the rectangle to create a larger rectangle around it (offset tool)?

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 pm

the 1st option(want to make copies of the rectangle with a given distance, so that you have multiple, identical rectangles at different locations, on the same line or plane)
THX
Dan

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 am

Hi Dan,

You would use the move/copy tool to get the result you need in this instance whether it be a library item or not.

4 X 2 question.jpg
4 X 2 question.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 13986 times
Select the rectangle and follow the tool prompts in the command line and the dialog window.

Or...is there another issue with the rectangle? When using the rectangle tool you have an option to create a polyline or keep the rectangle as four separate lines!
4 X 2 question 2.jpg
4 X 2 question 2.jpg (4.86 KiB) Viewed 13986 times
Ticking the 'Create polyline' option will give you a continuous polyline.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

When I select the move copy tool from the modify menu, I 1st have to select something, then if I click somewhere on the page, it then allows me to place the item anywhere, yet not constrained or defined. If I double click on the page, then the window with the 3 options, delete original, keep original, multiple copies appears and then select one, and I press ok, nothing happens.
I do not see how to input where to move it towards a certain distance and or direction. IE, if I want to move it or copy it and move it 16", there seems to be no way to do that?
Other times I have an object, library part or line that I want to move a small increment, like 1/4", yet this tool doesn’t seem to allow me to do that, or does it and HOW?
THX
Dan

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 am

Hi Danny. Is the attached video what you are looking for? I created a rectangle with poly line and just copied using a reference point and then in the command line specified where to place the copied based on a relative offset to the specified reference point.

Best
Attachments
CopyMultRef.wmv
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 661 times
Windows 10

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Watched the video. Mine doesn't seem to work the same, yet what your typing in is too small to see what you've typed. I did the exact same 1st 3 moves and then I typed in 16" and enter, it doesn't move horizontal or vertical, it seem to move at about 45 Degrees and not the 16" i put in. I tried with @16" because that looked like you typed a "@" prior to the distance, yet that came back as a incorrect input. How to ? THX Dan

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:12 pm

vdanny wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:03 pm
Watched the video. Mine doesn't seem to work the same, yet what your typing in is too small to see what you've typed. I did the exact same 1st 3 moves and then I typed in 16" and enter, it doesn't move horizontal or vertical, it seem to move at about 45 Degrees and not the 16" i put in. I tried with @16" because that looked like you typed a "@" prior to the distance, yet that came back as a incorrect input. How to ? THX Dan
It depend on your QCAD settings but try:

@16;0

Meaning:
units to the right
;
divides the values
units up
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi vdanny. What I did was create a polyline rectangle, I think 10mmx20mm (x,y), origin 0,0. That should be okay to create.

Then I selected the Modification Tool (on the left toolbar). The Copy/Move icon is greyed. I then clicked on the rectangle and then the Copy/Move option was available. I then selected the bottom left corner (Reference Point). Then I pressed the space bar (opr left click the mouse on the command line) to get to the command prompt to input my next Target point. I then typed in @15,0 for the Target Point and then pressed Enter. The Copy/Move dialog then popped up and I selected Multiple copies - 5.

Sorry if too small writing for you - but that's what I did.

Most importantly, was the result the correct result?

Oh, as Husky pointed out, the "@" makes the 15,0 a relative distance, not an absolute coordinate.
Windows 10

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 pm

OK that worked to move to the right, NOW how to move left, or UP, or Down?
THX
Dan

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Use negative numbers to move left(X) or down (Y) and prefix with @ to make it relative. Leaving the @ off makes the coordinate absolute.

So @-10,-5 would reference 10 units left and 5 units down. -10,-5 would be absolute point of 10 left and 5 down from the red + absolute 0 point on the drawing. @10<45 would be relative 10 units at 45 degrees, likewise 10<45 would be absolute position 10 units at 45 degrees from drawing origin 0,0 (red +).

Makes sense?

Edit... the small circle with the + in the middle is the relative zero point. Play with drawing lines from point to point using these various methods. You'll get it figured out in no time.

edit2: to include "from drawing origin 0,0 (red +)"
Last edited by Panchdara on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 pm

makes sense, THX, Dan

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”