Nothing visible in DWG import from Fusion 360

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

slcasner

Nothing visible in DWG import from Fusion 360

Post by slcasner » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:16 pm

I used Autodesk Fusion 360 to open a 3D model for an electronic part, then used the function in Fusion 360 to output a DWG file showing the traditional face, top, bottom and side views of a 2D drawing. When I open that DWG file in QCAD 3.22.0.11, there are no visible elements. In the Block List there are blocks for the sheet outline and several blocks with names like "*s14" that are grayed out. If I open those blocks to edit some of them show parts of the desired drawing, but since they are grayed out they can't be inserted into the workspace. Is there something wrong with the format of the DWG file? I am attaching here the PDF produced by Fusion 360 that shows how the drawing should appear and the DWG file.
Attachments
8209-7003.dwg
(303.82 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
8209-7003.pdf
(84.02 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Nothing visible in DWG import from Fusion 360

Post by Husky » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:50 pm

slcasner wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:16 pm
Is there something wrong with the format of the DWG file?
QCAD is a 2D CAD program and I assume your dwg is still, at least partly, created with 3D entities. Testing your dwg even crashed my QCAD.

The only thing what was working was to open the edit mode for each block, copy the content into the clipboard and insert it into a new drawing.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

slcasner

Post by slcasner » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 am

Thanks for testing. It is interesting that your QCAD crashed; mine did not. I guess one might infer from the crash that the DWG file contains content that is not covered by the DWG input capabilities of QCAD. Is there documentation somewehere stating what limitations QCAD imposes on DWG files?

I don't know if there is some way to examine the contents of a DWG file other than to open it with a CAD tool, so I can't say for sure what is contained in this example. But based on the appearance of the PDF file depicting a traditional 2D drawing, I would not expect the DWG file to contain any 3D elements. Both the DWG and PDF files are output from the same 2D drawing space created in Fusion 360 from the 3D model.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:41 am

I can't help you much but I know that QCAD doesn't accepts an asterisk in a block name. Can you rename the *S.. blocks before you load them into QCAD?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

slcasner

Post by slcasner » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm

I've searched but I have not found any way in Fusion 360 to access the layer properties of the DWG file it will export. I don't have AutoCAD (this is a QCAD forum, after all) to open the DWG file and modify it.

The technique of copy/pasting from edit mode of a block works for one of the views in the drawing, but not all of the views are present as blocks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:37 pm

The drawing contains "proxy entities". These are custom entities from an Autocad based application that can only be properly used in that application. Perhaps, you can explode these in Autocad, then export to DWG or DXF again.

slcasner

Post by slcasner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Andrew, thanks for examining the DWG file. As I mentioned to Husky, I don't have access to AutoCAD because it is expensive, that's what led me to QCAD. I am able to use Fusion 360 for free as a hobbyist. It does not provide operations for modifying the DWG file. The drawing is really in a model native to Fusion 360 and the DWG is just an export function. Fusion 360 does not support DXF export at this time, although it is on the list of features requested by users.

On another example DWG file taken from the 3D model of a different electronic part, I tried the technique Husky suggested to edit one of the blocks in the DWG file that had a useful view (but not the one I most wanted) and copy/paste the elements into the main workspace. That works partially. However, when I tried to mirror some of the elements the result was at a weird angle. When I tried drawing over the lines in that view, I found that the snap-to-intersection function did not activate although snap-to-endpoint would; that may simply mean that the lines did not properly intersect. However, the resulting drawn-over lines had the same problem with the mirror operation distorting to a weird angle, so they must have inherited some anomalous position information. I was able to successfully redraw the view using infinite lines overlaid on the elements copied from the block, but that again had to use snap-to-endpoint because snap-along-element would not activate. So there was really something anomalous about the elements. That means it might not even work if I had been able to explode the block in the DWG file.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”