Default to Off: Grid, Screen Based Linetypes

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

bmears
Registered Member

Default to Off: Grid, Screen Based Linetypes

Post by bmears » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:36 pm

I'm a new user - coming from DraftSight, which will no longer be free at the end of the year. After evaluating a few alternatives, I think I'm ready to settle on QCAD.

Is there a way to turn the grid off by default, and turn off screen based linetypes by default? I don't want either & I can't find a way to turn them off in Application Settings. Am I not looking in the right place, or can't it be done?

Thanks,

Brian

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Default to Off: Grid, Screen Based Linetypes

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello Brian - welcome to the QCAD forum.
bmears wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:36 pm
Is there a way to turn the grid off by default, and turn off screen based linetypes by default? I don't want either & I can't find a way to turn them off in Application Settings. Am I not looking in the right place, or can't it be done?
Yes, below Application Preferences you can set all default settings for NEW drawings. But - that works only on NEW drawings without using a start template drawing.

Note: If you worked on a drawing, turned the grid on and saved the drawing QCAD will store also the grid status for that drawing. The next time you open this drawing it will start with grid/on regardless the Application Preference settings.

I recommend to create a start template for all new drawing. On that way you are able to use always the same set of basic layer and all settings like grid or screen based linetypes etc are stored too.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

bmears
Registered Member

Post by bmears » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 am

The DXF files I open are all created in another program - not in QCAD.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm

bmears wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 am
The DXF files I open are all created in another program - not in QCAD.
Question: If you load one of those drawings, turns the grid off, saves and reload that drawing - is the grid then on or off?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”