Hello I'm John R

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

johnr454
Newbie Member

Hello I'm John R

Post by johnr454 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 am

Hello All,

I'm a retired Senior Mechanical Designer with extensive mechanical design experience. I have run Autocad for design from its very beginnings.
I no longer need such powerful and complicated soft ware. So in shopping around I came across Qcad. I tried it for a few hours
and bingo I was hooked. I read posts on the forum that mentioned Qcad was a great software at a great price.
I'm one hundred percent in agreement! I find it simple yet effective. I use it for my hobby projects alongside Via cad Cubify Design
and Vectric V-Carve.

One feature I'm really found of is Qcads ability to print to scale as well as make tiled prints. Fantastic !
I have asked Vectric many times to allow scaled printing from their software but they have no interest.
I have tried the CAM side of Qcad and find it simple but with a few upgrades and it will be a really nice CAM package as well.
At this point it is 2D and 2 1/2 D an that's O.K. Perhaps it will be refined to include pocketing, peck drilling etc.

I have had issues with Qcad crashing on stratup with my 32 bit laptop running Windows 7 but when I set my video driver to 256 colors I was able to make it work 16 bit. I'm also having an issue with the display of entities in the drawing area under Windows 7.
Entities get distorted and lines get displaced on zooming in Qcad. I If I save and reopen the drawing file the graphics appear correct but then
after a few commands the entities get displaced again. I don't mean zooming out of the area. I mean the lines circles and arcs actually move to another location. Early versions of Autocad did something similar and it turned out video drivers or video settings were at fault. With this in mind I moved the drawing to my Windows 10 laptop to try again with the latest video drivers and it acted in a similar way.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen ? If so what should be done to correct it ?

Thanks for this great software.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hello I'm John R

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am

Hello and welcome to the QCAD forum. Please attach or e-mail your drawing file as this might be related to the drawing file rather than the QCAD installation or drivers, etc. Thanks.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:52 am

Hello johnr454 - welcome to the QCAD forum. :D
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

johnr454
Newbie Member

Post by johnr454 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for getting back so soon you support is great !

Attached please find the drawing file. I tried opening it on my i5 Win 10 laptop just now and all
seems ok. I'll try again on my older x32 maschine.

Thanks again,

John
Attachments
24 V DC Motor Layout 2 r2.dwg
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 pm

johnr454 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm
Attached please find the drawing file.
Looks good to me ...

johnr454 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm
I tried opening it on my i5 Win 10 laptop just now and all
seems ok. I'll try again on my older x32 maschine.
That shouldn't be a problem at all. I run QCAD on Win10 too and I'm more than happy with the performance.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

johnr454
Newbie Member

Re: Hello I'm John R screen issue solved.

Post by johnr454 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Hello guys

When next it happens I'll make a screen shot and post it.
For now all is good just trying to figure out how to save c tool settings to use over and over.

Thanks again for commenting. Q cad is really a super package.

All the best,

Johnr

Return to “Introduce Yourself”