Regen speed and Paper Space switching speed.

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

DeckelHead
Newbie Member

Regen speed and Paper Space switching speed.

Post by DeckelHead » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:20 am

I am transitioning from DraftSight to QCAD Pro. I *really* want this to work well because I love the idea of QCAD. To that end, however, I am running into some issues. I only have one problem, per se, which is drawing speed, but I also have two suggestions. These are:
  • In DraftSight, the the 'notes' in my paper space template used '\P' for a newline. QCAD didn't like this and put everything into a new line. I had to grab the text and make a multi-line textbox for each such instance. Not a biggie, just a little annoying.
  • In DraftSight the paperspace paper was perfect. For some reason, however, all of my settings were reset in QCAD, with the origins in a different location. I have yet to figure this out, but it isn't the top thing on my list... Drawing speed is. Which is a segue to...
My big problem now is that it takes an inordinately long period of time to redraw or switch to different paperspace views; the view switching is much more of an issue as it almost feels like I am going to crash the program. It is odd because DraftSight was ridiculously fast with this. There was essentially little to no latency.

My drawing is 1.6MB in size. I am using OSX 10.15.5 (Catalina). My computer has 32gb of RAM and 3.5GHz i5 processor. I can supply the file, if desired, but I'd rather keep it confidential so I really would prefer to not post it here.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Regen speed and Paper Space switching speed.

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am

DeckelHead wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:20 am
My big problem now is that it takes an inordinately long period of time to redraw or switch to different paperspace views; the view switching is much more of an issue as it almost feels like I am going to crash the program.
I tested with a 3MB dxf. I can't reproduce an "inordinately long period of time to redraw or switch to different paperspace views". Switching between Paperspaces takes with my example drawing (around two times the size of your drawing) around one second - isn't that acceptable?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:35 am

Does the file contain Hatches?
Read:
https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7340

Easy tested, copy file, set all your hatches to solid, reload.
Regards,
CVH

DeckelHead
Newbie Member

Post by DeckelHead » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 pm

No, I don't have any hatching in there, although there are a lot of blocks....

One second would be more than adequate. I'm talking about a delay (minimum) 30 seconds and sometimes I have a wait cursor for minutes. I'd be happy to send the file if you can tell me how to publish it in a way other than an attachment (I'd prefer not to have it public)

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:10 pm

DeckelHead wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 pm
... I'd be happy to send the file if you can tell me how to publish it in a way other than an attachment (I'd prefer not to have it public)
I'm not sure about the current file size limits but you are welcome to use my PM.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

DeckelHead
Newbie Member

Post by DeckelHead » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:44 pm

I was able to send you the file. I had to forward the original DWG file that I had been using on DraftSight though. I noticed that the DXF has ballooned to about 9.3MB. But, the DWG might be a better starting point anyhow. It will show you some of the odd behavior with the sheets, if you are interested. if you have DraftSight, you'll see that the '\P' is interpreted as a line feed in the notes section, while QCAD ignores the character. The result is that QCAD treats the text as a massive single line.... You'll also see the incorrect origin of the sheets. If you've got DraftSight, you can try loading the drawing there and it won't take long to identify the differences in behavior and/or presentation.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I can also neuter the drawing to remove anything sensitive so that I can post it here, if desired.

BTW: Version QCAD-PRO, v3.24.3 (about to update to the latest)

DeckelHead
Newbie Member

Post by DeckelHead » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi...
I was wondering if you had any luck replicating the problem or suggestions.

Thanks.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:39 pm

DeckelHead wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 pm
Hi...
I was wondering if you had any luck replicating the problem or suggestions.

Thanks.
I was wondering when you finally will read your PM .................... the attachment was missing. :wink:

DeckelHead
Newbie Member

Post by DeckelHead » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:27 pm

LOL. Well, that isn't going to work! I'll go fix that now, and also see if there is a setting on the forum that notifies me (via email) of a new message. It could be that everything is auto-magically moved to my junk folder because I'm also, curiously, not getting informed of new messages on the thread even though I'm subscribed. Both functions are pretty common in modern forum software, so I'm guessing Google isn't being my friend.

Anyhow, I'll fix the missing attachment in a bit. Sorry for the confusion, love the response! :)

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 am

Hi Alan, looks like we got it sorted LOL

So, I checked your drawing - I can't reproduce a delay of up to a minute but the drawing is noticeable slowed down. My hardware is a i5 with 16 GB RAM what means it is slower than your hardware. Could it be that an anti virus software is checking "life" your drawing file?

Howsoever: You are using a block in your drawing for trees (Ceco.NET-Landscaping-Trees-Te-70). Despite it is a nice block - it is also a "CPU-Killer". In fact this block used in the drawing will more than double the size of your file. I recommend to get rid of that block.

Another thing could be the kind of navigation which is used by you. I assume there is not really something wrong with it but maybe there are faster possibilities available.
If you use the mouse wheel e.g. to zoom in and out it is slower (more in between rendering) than using the [+] / [-] keys on your keyboard. Turning unused layer off helps too.
Using a "View List" (Menu / View / View List) would be the nonplus ultra for fast navigation / modification inside a complex drawing.

Sent by e-mail! I attached the modified drawing. The "Tree" block is changed to a simple circle, the invalid block names are fixed and a random chosen "View List" as example is added.

Regards
Husky

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”