Where is the third dimension?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

emes
Newbie Member

Where is the third dimension?

Post by emes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Qcad and CAD in general, while I have some experience with Blender (a 3d software) and technical drawing on paper. Over the last two days I was trying to design a simple model and learn Qcad at the same time. I'm getting comfortable with simple drawing tools and the design is quite fine, with one exception. It is flat.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out how to add third dimension to my objects. The View > Top/Right/Left projection menu items seem to be what I'm looking for, but they only change the shape of the grid, while the drawing remains exactly the same, confusing me totally.

Basically, what I want, is this:

My drawing looks like one of the set in the left viewport: It is just a top view. I want to add front and right view and bind them somehow to get three-dimensional model.

Let's do it simple. I want to draw a cylinder.
1. Open new project.
2. Draw a circle.
3. How to add depth so it becomes a cylinder?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Where is the third dimension?

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello and thanks for trying QCAD!

Unfortunately, there appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. QCAD is a 2D CAD application, not a 3D modeller. Please refer also to our web site at:
http://qcad.org

"QCAD is a free, open source application for computer aided drafting (CAD) in two dimensions (2D)."

The screenshot you have posted shows the isometric projection tools of QCAD. Isometric projections are often used in 2D drawings to give the viewer a better impression of how an object looks. However, an isometric projection is by no means a 3D model.

QCAD does not have any 3D concepts such as bodies, cylinders, etc.

emes
Newbie Member

Post by emes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Does it mean that the isometric projection in the right viewport was made from scratch, without using directly any data from the drawings on the right?

Well, it's still fine with me. I can carry over the dimensions from top to left and front views drawing helper lines. I guess it is the proper way to go?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 am

emes wrote:Does it mean that the isometric projection in the right viewport was made from scratch, without using directly any data from the drawings on the right?
No, it was made using the isometric projection tools provided by QCAD:
http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/ref ... ct_en.html
http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/ref ... al_en.html
emes wrote:Well, it's still fine with me. I can carry over the dimensions from top to left and front views drawing helper lines. I guess it is the proper way to go?
That's one common approach, yes.

emes
Newbie Member

Post by emes » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 pm

andrew wrote: No, it was made using the isometric projection tools provided by QCAD:
That looks great! I'm sure I will give it a try.
Thanks for your help, andrew!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”