QCAD Installer and Linux

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

slyde

QCAD Installer and Linux

Post by slyde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:24 am

I just read that the QCAD *.run will actually install on Ubuntu. I run Mint, so this shld also work for me. I'm a couple weeks into using QCAD. When I bought it, I looked for a *.deb file as this is the usual install extension for debian-based installation programs. So when I didn't see one, I got the tar.gz. It's a nuisance having to open the QCAD folder each time, double-clicking the qcad executable and then clicking RUN when the system asks me what I want to do with this file. If the *.run file indeed installs QCAD on Mint (debian-based), can I get that file and install QCAD without messing up the time elapsed on this purchase? Please advise.

Slyde
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

lphilpot

Re: QCAD Installer and Linux

Post by lphilpot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

I'm on Xubuntu 16.04 LTS and have used the tar file to upgrade the last couple of revs. I have no such issue.

As root, I uncompress the file in /opt (that's just where I put it - it can go anywhere, like maybe /usr/local) and symlink /opt/qcad to the new directory*. I have a QCAD.desktop file that points at /opt/qcad/qcad and that's what my menu and panel launchers reference. I click one of them and QCAD starts, no issues. I'm not sure what desktop menu Mint uses, but if it conforms to the (admittedly convoluted) XDG spec, it should still reference *.desktop files somewhere:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/applications
/usr/local/share/applications
~/.config/menus
~/.local/share/applications
...etc.

Do you have some kind of extra security turned on? I've not used Mint, but it and *ubuntu are Debian distros, so it should be similar. I agree a *.deb would indeed be more 'official'. Actually a PPA would be great, but I can understand why it's a self-running script or a tarball: .deb, .rpm., .pkg, .whatever...? QCAD's installation is pretty self-contained and it would be quite a bit of work to maintain multiple package formats.

* I just noticed (and this may be key) that /opt/qcad3-* is all owned by my account, not root. So that means when I downloaded it, it was by my account and that survived when it was uncompressed. /opt is 755 root, so I couldn't write there. Maybe that's the difference? On my personal system it's no big deal to own a directory under /opt, but if it was a multi-user box I might rethink that.
Len
QCAD Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am

slyde wrote:If the *.run file indeed installs QCAD on Mint (debian-based), can I get that file and install QCAD without messing up the time elapsed on this purchase?
Yes, no problem. the .run installer will install under ~/opt/qcad-3.19.1-pro-linux-x86_64 by default and create a desktop icon.

slyde

Post by slyde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 pm

I got the file installed and have a Desktop icon now. That makes me happy. However, QCAD is under the impression that I'm back to running a trial version again.
Screenshot from 2017-12-05 06-04-50.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-05 06-04-50.png (302.17 KiB) Viewed 18746 times
What do I do to get this resolved? Thanks.

Slyde
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:08 pm

You have downloaded and installed the free trial version from qcad.org/qcad-downloads-trial.

An e-mail was sent to you after purchase with a direct link to your download area where you can download the full version of the software. No key or activation of any kind is required. This link can also be used to download updates until one year after your purchase.

The e-mail subject is:
'[RibbonSoft Online Shop] Virtual product(s) available for download'

If you cannot find this e-mail, please look also in your Spam or Bulk mail folder.

I will also forward this e-mail to your e-mail address again.

slyde

Post by slyde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

:-(

And it will install over the Trial? Or do I need to uninstall that first? If so, what's the procedure to uninstall *.run?

Sorry for the trouble, Andrew.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm

slyde wrote:And it will install over the Trial?
Each package installs into a separate directory under ~/opt. You may install as many versions or trial/pro combinations as you wish in parallel.

Since QCAD places all files (except the desktop icon) into ~/opt/package_name, you can simply delete that directory to uninstall.

slyde

Post by slyde » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I apologize for the trouble, Andrew. I'm normally not this stupid. But this isn't one of those times :D

Thanks

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Lindanof wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:18 pm
...Im running Linux Mint 6......
WOW e_surprised , are you aware that Linux Mint 20 has just been released ?
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.4

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Pete: "Lindanof" was just a spammer. They have been removed with all their posts.

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm

andrew wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:40 pm
Pete: "Lindanof" was just a spammer. They have been removed with all their posts.
Ok, thanks Andrew. Must be the weirdest spam I've ever seen :lol:
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.4

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm

They often post some legitimate stuff first, then later add their links and spam. Their e-mail was blacklisted as a spammer e-mail.

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”