very slow to work

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

donato
Registered Member

very slow to work

Post by donato » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:22 am

Hi all, I recently bought and downloaded QCAD professional for windows 64 bit (I installed it on a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series (Intel 8 core i7, NVIDIA GEFORCE graphics card, SSD disk). I would like to use this PC to make changes to drawings produced with AutoCAD. Unfortunately, although QCAD seems to me to be an excellent product, I encounter major slowness problems. Also dwg file is not too big (2MB large). I would like to use QCAD for my profession but if I can't solve these performance problems I will be forced to discard it. I wuold be very sorry because it is a product with advanced functions, cheap and simple to learn and use. But at moment it is impossible for me to work on a complex drawing. Could you give me some suggestions please? Do you think that by switching to Linux I could have better performance? Thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: very slow to work

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:26 am

Unfortunately, QCAD is not designed to work with very complex / large files. Please note that the file size is no indication of the drawing complexity or size (think about a tiny file which contains a drawing with a single block that is inserted as a huge block array or a hatch with a very dense pattern, etc.).

donato
Registered Member

Post by donato » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:12 pm

It's a real shame because I really liked QCAD. I thought I'd use it for work instead of AutoCAD, but I have to use an efficient product even on complex files. Thanks anyway for your support.

Jkiss
Registered Member

Post by Jkiss » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:02 pm

Hi,
same experience, I am just curious if it isn't a problem with the latest version....
I am an hobbiest, making scale models. I am using 3D CAD for my hobby, and time to time I need arrange drawing/modules. The files are coming in dwg format. Nothing complex, <150kB, splitting to primary objects (lines) < 1400 objects... loading such file takes 2-3 sec, but working with it is a pain... each zoom 2-3 seconds, same with pan.
I played with QCAD trial version several weeks ago, and I did not notice any performance problems... now I purchased the license, downloaded the latest version 3.29.5 and I am totally disappointed.
Same file loaded to Libre cad works smoothly, no one millisecond lag at zooming/panning, same in my 3D CAD (MOI3D). What's happening?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:18 pm

@ Jkiss

If you could share such a file we could have a look at it.
1400 Line segments should not be an issue but remind that QCAD is basically 2D.

If considered proprietary then attach it to a Private Message.
Easiest entry point is double clicking on my user name and take it from there.

Regards,
CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

Jkiss wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:02 pm
same experience, I am just curious if it isn't a problem with the latest version....
Thank you for the file by PM.
- Format: R24 (2010) DWG Drawing (OpenDesign) (*.dwg)
- 148Kb
- Saved as dxf (Autosave) 514Kb
=> Not considered as a large file.

Loads as of immediately, even aside several other and heavier drawing files, even without SSD (Memory caching).
No latency when zooming, Select All in under half a second, no noticeable increase in latency zooming on selected.
About 4-5 fps when zooming/panning in paper space (Viewport on Layout1)
This decreases somewhat when the Viewport is selected.

Mostly Block References, I see Blocks with Hatches (Non problematic), I see stacked Blocks (Mostly 1 level)
There is 3D content (105 entities), detected NonZeroZ coordinates.
You exploit polylines with custom widths ... That may not work well when Z is not zero.

I see no issues why QCAD should be slow but then I always have edge over 64bit using Win7 32bit.
Then again, I didn't test it with 15 or more similar files.

A good advice on Hatches (in Blocks) is to isolate them on a dedicated layer and locking that layer.
What does menu Misc .. Modify .. Flatten to 2D do for you? Test this on a copy for example.

Odd/unexpected behavior is in some rare cases remedied with resetting your configuration:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

Or you could try to wipe your installation and do a fresh install.

Sorry to be of no help. :oops:
Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”